REPORT: New research shows school shootings have united Gen Z and young millennials
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by Axios:
To a degree not entirely fathomable to older Americans, the defining issue for today’s youth aged 14–29 — crossing race, age, gender and political affiliation, whether rural or urban — is the long wave of deadly school shootings.
That’s according to new polling suggesting a stark new generational divide that may influence U.S. politics for years to come.
The article goes on to state the following:
“An older generation would not understand walking into a classroom … and thinking, ‘This could be a really easy room for someone to shoot up.’ The same daily weight on an adult’s shoulders over bills or taxes is what children feel about living or dying,” said a student at Ohio State University, speaking with John Della Volpe, CEO of SocialSphere and polling chief at the Harvard Kennedy School’s Institute of Politics.
- Their crucible differs sharply from the prior generation’s, Della Volpe tells Axios: “The issue connects young Americans unlike anything except 9/11 in the last 20 years.”
Over the last several months, Della Volpe conducted a series of conversations in person and by phone with 14- to 29-year-olds in five cities — Atlanta, Chicago, Columbus, Los Angeles and Parkland, Florida. Then he did a poll of 2,235 people from the same age group.
Among his findings:
- 68% said school shootings are the most important issue facing the U.S. And 70% advocated stricter gun control. That included 46% of Republicans and 47% of gun owners.
- 79% said they support issuing gun licenses under the same regime governing driver’s licenses.
- But, but, but: 67% said having a gun at home makes them safer, and 53% said it is at least possible they will own a gun in the future for personal safety.
To get more information about this article, please visit Axios. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Rep. Gaetz makes rare move to join Dem on amendment to block Trump on Iran
- BREAKING: Minnesota Lawmaker Calls For Ethics Investigation Into Rep. Ilhan Omar [VIDEO]
- REPORT: DNA tests reveal shocking percentage of suspected fraudulent migrant families were unrelated
- BREAKING: Podium placement for first Democratic debate revealed
- REPORT: A 4-hour standoff in California ends with 5 people killed
- REPORT: ‘Burn that rag!’ Activists plan to desecrate the flag at Trump’s July Fourth rally
- REPORT: Filings show Trump DHS Secretary McAleenan supported Democrats for years
- VIDEO: Mom Catches Kid Falling Off Balcony In Heart-Stopping Surveillance Video
- REPORT: Iranian president lashes out with insult at Trump White House amid new sanctions
- VIDEO: Nunes threatens ninth criminal referral, says Trump-Russia conspiracy peddlers are ‘possessed’