REPORT: Newspaper’s call for minority curfew sparks outrage
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by CBSLOCAL.COM:
RANCHO MURIETA (CBS13) — Inside the pages of the small, weekly Rancho Murieta newspaper the River Valley Times, the sentence generating big backlash is an opinion piece written in response to the police shooting of Stephon Clark.
It reads, “police have to be careful not to overact and you black men might be better off at home after a certain hour.”
The line is drawing a swift reaction.
Marcia Courson is the woman who wrote the controversial column. While she did not respond to requests for comment, her publisher, Dave Herburger, said in a phone interview: “We don’t condone the notion of a minority curfew.”
The Sacramento Bee reports that according to the latest census data, 89 percent of residents who live in Rancho Murieta are white, while one percent are black.
Local Columnist Suggests Curfew for Black Men after Stephon Clark Shooting https://t.co/RxmOe13kxu
— FOX40 News (@FOX40) April 14, 2018
Some examples of the social media outrage may be read below.
Guessing the person who wrote this – – – “police have to be careful not to overact and you black men might be better off at home after a certain hour.” – – was not using their brain at the time. Really?! WTH?!https://t.co/UkdwjsyCYE
— Rhonda (@Mom15411th) April 15, 2018
This is unacceptable, indefensible racism. https://t.co/DYBHUEOdSI
— thenewsjunkie (@thenewsjunkie) April 15, 2018
Oh my! It reads, ‘police have to be careful not to overact and you black men might be better off at home after a certain hour’ https://t.co/KztkIClme0
— KEVIN BULLARD (@KEVINBULLARD) April 15, 2018
Wow, she should have never even typed that smh..come on people we’re trying to move forward not backwards!!!
— gina (@mzvj) April 14, 2018
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting CBSLOCAL.COM.
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: 1 injured in shooting at Florida high school, authorities say
- TRUMP TWEET: Michael Flynn destroyed
- REPORT: Trump makes decision about attending Barbara Bush funeral
- BREAKING: DNC files multimillion dollar lawsuit against Russia, Trump campaign, WikiLeaks
- REPORT: Court battle launched over anti-sanctuary law in California city
- REPORT: Stormy Daniels to Donate NDA Money to Highly Controversial Organization
- UPDATE: Sheriffs killed at Florida restaurant identified
- VIDEO: Pro-Trump New Yorkers protest against Comey at book signing
- REPORT: Water scooter gunmen shoot up beach in Cancun’s tourist zone
- DML TV: John Stamos claims MARCH FOR OUR LIVES changed the world