REPORT: Nigerian Prince Scam took $110K from Kansas man; 10 years later, he’s getting it back
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by KANSASCITY.COM:
A decade ago, Fred Haines was wandering the Wichita airport looking for a Nigerian man hauling two chests full of cash.
After an hour of waiting and asking around, he finally came to the realization that the $65 million Nigerian fortune he thought he was inheriting was not coming after all.
The article goes on to state the following:
What is now coming, though, is the $110,000 he had been scammed out of, thanks to the work of the Kansas Attorney General’s Office.
From 2005 to 2008, swindlers hoodwinked Haines, a self-employed handyman in Wichita, into spending thousands in pursuit of an imaginary inheritance from a Nigerian government official — a con known as the Nigerian Prince Scam. Haines re-mortgaged his house three times in the process.
Last year, in a settlement with the Department of Justice, Western Union admitted it knew some of its employees had conspired with scam artists to bilk people out of money and had failed to fix the problem. The company set aside $586 million to create a fund to refund victims across the U.S. and Canada.
CLICK HERE to read the rest of the story, including photos.
To weigh in on this information provided by KANSASCITY.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting KANSASCITY.COM
Trending on DML News
- Hillary raises over $150k in just a few hours for illegals, DML responds
- POLL: Should kids be separated from illegal alien parents at border?
- BREAKING: Peter Strzok escorted out of FBI building amid investigation
- DML TV: Hillary says Trump spreading downright lies about border, DML responds
- UPDATE: Ex-CIA engineer charged in connection to huge breach known as Vault 7
- REPORT: Florida mom arrested after leaving 3-year-old in car for 12 hours
- REPORT: Trump plan to claw back billions in spending facing uncertain future
- REPORT: Kansas Judge Rules on Law Requiring Voters to Show Proof of Citizenship
- REPORT: ICE demands apology from New Yorker over tattoo claim
- BREAKING: L.A. sheriff’s detectives seize over 500 firearms from felon’s home (photos)