REPORT: NYT claims NOAA staff was threatened for contradicting Trump on Dorian; Commerce Department responds
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross threatened to fire top employees at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) after officials contradicted President Trump’s claim that Alabama could be impacted by Hurricane Dorian, according to a report by The New York Times.
The Commerce Department later denied the story in a statement to The Hill.
The article goes on to state the following:
“The New York Times story is false. Secretary Ross did not threaten to fire any NOAA staff over forecasting and public statements about Hurricane Dorian,” the spokesperson told The Hill.
Citing three people familiar with the discussion, the NYT reported that Ross asked acting NOAA Administrator Neil Jacobs to change the perception that the agency had contradicted Trump. Ross reportedly said that political staff at NOAA may be dismissed if the situation wasn’t resolved.
Several sources have asked for Ross to resign over the report.
NYT: Wilbur Ross Threatened Firings at NOAA After Trump’s Hurricane Tweets, Sources Sayhttps://t.co/DluVJ6JnIf
— Aaron Blake (@AaronBlake) September 9, 2019
The NYT reports Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross threatened to fire NOAA employees if they didn’t refute a tweet by a regional office that contradicted President Trump’s claim that Hurricane Dorian could likely hit Alabama. Rep. Gerry Connolly says Ross should resign over this. pic.twitter.com/A0rTG8ayS9
— The Situation Room (@CNNSitRoom) September 9, 2019
After the director rejected the demand, Ross warned political staff would be fired if they did not comply. https://t.co/aKBmPEn4AW
— Washington Examiner (@dcexaminer) September 9, 2019
Rep. Don Beyer says Wilbur Ross should resign over his threats to NOAA officials pic.twitter.com/b3DnIQXlxx
— Jennifer Bendery (@jbendery) September 9, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Prison officials reveal ‘fear’ of Weinstein incarceration: ‘He may try to …”
- VIDEO: Former child star dies at age 25
- REPORT: House Republican rips witness over gun control law claim
- BREAKING: Trump administration declares emergency due to coronavirus, Chinese furious
- VIDEO: Joe Biden tells a WHOPPER on gun violence… and no one called him on it
- REPORT: Medicaid and food stamps line vanishes as new immigration rules start
- REPORT: Ilhan Omar tweets: ‘This is what America looks like’ [PHOTOS]
- REPORT: Warren issues response to letter from Native American tribes [READ THE LETTER]
- REPORT: CNN report SHOCKS with description of baby who survives an abortion
- JUST IN: Major retailer to close 125 stores, shed 2,000 corporate jobs