REPORT: Obama Admin. Ignored Public Health Experts Seeking Fentanyl Crisis Declaration
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by FreeBeacon:
In 2016, a group of national health experts asked the Obama administration to declare a national public health emergency in response to spiking fentanyl deaths, but were ignored, the Washington Post reported Wednesday.
Overdose deaths caused by synthetic opioids, most prominently fentanyl and its analogues, have skyrocketed since 2013. In May of 2016, 11 public health experts wrote a private letter to six Obama administration officials—including the heads of the Office of National Drug Control Policy and Centers for Disease Control—asking for a public health emergency to be declared so that the federal government could better respond to the surge of overdose deaths.
The article goes on to state the following:
But, in what the Post characterized as “one in a series of missed opportunities,” the administration declined to declare an emergency. Instead, fentanyl overdoses continued to grow unabated, with Congress and President Donald Trump not taking action for another two years.
Obama administration officials gave only passing attention to the drug that would come to define 2019’s drug crisis. Attorney General Loretta Lynch gave it a passing reference in a 2015 speech; and Tom Frieden, administrator of the CDC, alerted administration officials to the growth in synthetic overdose deaths. But, Frieden told the Post, he often felt like he was not being heard.
“I felt like I was a bit of a voice in the wilderness,” Frieden said. “I didn’t have the sense that people got this as a really serious problem.”
“A massive institutional failure.”
This is the inside story of how Obama officials failed to focus on fentanyl as the powerful painkiller killed thousands across America. https://t.co/Net4H9VDq4
— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) March 13, 2019
Obama Admin. Ignored Public Health Experts Seeking Fentanyl Crisis Declaration https://t.co/sl90A2kJb5
— Free Beacon (@FreeBeacon) March 13, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit FreeBeacon. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting FreeBeacon
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Mark Meadows: US ambassadors conspired with DOJ to take down Trump
- BREAKING: Family releases surprising cause of death for Obama’s top economic adviser
- BREAKING: Ocasio-Cortez Quietly Removed From Board Of PAC She Controlled
- BREAKING: Top Obama economic adviser dies suddenly at 58
- REPORT: Roy Blunt kicked from GOP event over border wall emergency vote
- OpEd: Donna Brazile: Why I am excited to join Fox News
- REPORT: Facebook blocks Trump’s social media chief: ‘Why are you silencing me?’
- REPORT: Survey reveals Trump trails Biden, Sanders, Warren in crucial swing state
- REPORT: Actor who fought AGAINST ISIS is having trouble gaining re-entry to U.S.
- REPORT: Supreme Court makes decision on case of B&B who refused room to lesbian couple