REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez called out for claiming Pentagon $$ error could fund Medicare for all
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by FOXNEWS.COM:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was roundly fact-checked this week — by even liberal-leaning publications — for suggesting a reported $21 trillion in Pentagon accounting errors could fund most of her proposed “Medicare for all” health care program.
Ocasio-Cortez, one of the highest-profile figures among the new wave of liberal Democrats entering Congress in 2019, cited a Nation story about how $21 trillion in “Pentagon financial transactions” between 1998 and 2015 could not be documented or explained.
“$21T in Pentagon accounting errors. Medicare for All costs ~$32T,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted. “That means 66% of Medicare for All could have been funded already by the Pentagon.”
The article goes on to state the following:
But multiple fact-checkers gave a clear verdict to Ocasio-Cortez’s suggestion that Pentagon accounting errors could largely cover the costs: it wasn’t true.
As left-wing Vox explained: “The Pentagon’s accounting errors are genuinely enormous, but they’re also just accounting errors — they don’t represent actual money that can be spent on something else.”
Underscoring the disconnect between the original story and Ocasio-Cortez’s Twitter claim, Vox continued: “Indeed, there simply hasn’t been $21 trillion in (nominal) Defense Department spending across the entirety of American history.”
CLICK HERE to read more from Fox News. The article also reported the following:
The New York Times noted that the $21 trillion is the value of adjustments made to Pentagon records that couldn’t be traced: “That is not the same thing as $21 trillion in spending.”
$21 TRILLION of Pentagon financial transactions “could not be traced, documented, or explained.”
$21T in Pentagon accounting errors. Medicare for All costs ~$32T.
That means 66% of Medicare for All could have been funded already by the Pentagon.
And that’s before our premiums. https://t.co/soT6GSmDSG
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@Ocasio2018) December 2, 2018
@TheNation: “DoD has literally been making up numbers in its reports to Congress— knowing that Congress would rely on those reports when deciding how much to give the following year.”
*To clarify, this is to say that we only demand fiscal details w/ health+edu, rarely elsewhere.
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@Ocasio2018) December 3, 2018
I want to listen. I want to understand. But basic understanding of math and our budget would tell you that the only thing in the trillions is our deficit (see previous administrations for that pearl of wisdom).
— Brandon Edwards (@FioreUnited) December 3, 2018
You just said 21 Trillion.
— George (@13Xfitter) December 3, 2018
To get more information about this article, please visit FOXNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting FOXNEWS.COM
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Lion kills worker after escaping enclosure at North Carolina animal center
- REPORT: Dershowitz suggests FBI ‘thoroughly’ investigate Swetnick affidavit, Avenatti responds
- REPORT: High school student killed, 3 teens injured in crash one day after prom
- VIDEO: The twisted motive behind the alleged murder-for-hire plot that’s rocked the NYPD
- REPORT: Former DOJ official “surprised” by one section of Mueller report
- VIDEO: Tucker Carlson: Our leaders will never defend our borders – and world knows it and is coming for our wealth
- REPORT: Ben Carson sends Oreos to Democrat who quizzed him
- BREAKING: Pelosi speaks after closed-door Dem meeting, makes allegation against Trump [VIDEO]
- EXCLUSIVE: Pelosi gives her version of explosive meeting with Trump [VIDEO]
- REPORT: McConnell campaign raises stunning haul from ‘Cocaine Mitch’ T-shirt sales