REPORT: Photos Of Travelers Coming In And Out Of The US Have Been Hacked And Stolen
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by BUZZFEEDNEWS.COM:
A US Customs and Border Protection subcontractor suffered a data breach that exposed the photos of tens of thousands of travelers coming in and out of the United States, the agency revealed Monday, in what it described as a “malicious cyber-attack.”
The database of identifying traveler photos and license plate images had been transferred to a CBP subcontractor’s network without the federal agency’s authorization or knowledge, CBP explained. The subcontractor’s network was then hacked, though CBP said its own systems had not been compromised.
The article goes on to state the following:
The compromised photos were taken of travelers in vehicles coming in and out of the US through specific lanes at a single Port of Entry over a one and a half months period. Fewer than 100,000 people had their information compromised by the attack, according to a law enforcement official.
No other identifying information was included with the photos and no passport or other travel document photos were compromised, the official said. Images of airline passengers from the air entry and exit process were also not involved.
CBP just released a statement saying that last month, it learned that a copy of the US government’s database of traveler photos had been compromised. https://t.co/9HekVDEP5j
— Davey Alba (@daveyalba) June 10, 2019
SCOOP: Compromised CBP photos were taken of travelers in vehicles coming in and out of the US through specific lanes at a single Port of Entry over a one and a half months period.
Story w/ the latest: https://t.co/ufmrqwiuJ8
— Hamed Aleaziz (@Haleaziz) June 11, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit BUZZFEEDNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Oklahoma teen accused of threatening to shoot ‘400 people for fun,’ officers make chilling find at her home
- REPORT: GOP signals unease with Barr’s gun plan
- REPORT: NYT reporters make new claim against Kavanaugh
- TRUMP TWEETS: Responds to news report about ‘whistleblower complaint’
- REPORT: Student’s questionable school lunch post goes viral: ‘Sad excuse for a meal’
- BREAKING: Patriots star dumped by Nike after being accused of rape
- Florida sheriff reports about armed officer on school campus
- REPORT: Two former Congressional Black Caucus chairmen back 2020 candidate
- REPORT: ‘Kangaroo justice’: William Barr slams Obama Education Department
- VIDEO: “I hung up the phone and cried”: Dana Perino on the setback that led her to the White House