REPORT: Poll Reveals Percentage of Republicans That Want to Give Trump the Power to Shut Down Media
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by THEDAILYBEAST.COM:
Freedom of the press may be guaranteed in the Constitution. But a plurality of Republicans want to give President Trump the authority to close down certain news outlets, according to a new public opinion survey conducted by Ipsos and provided exclusively to The Daily Beast.
The findings present a sobering picture for the fourth estate, with respondents showing diminished trust in the media and increased support for punitive measures against its members. They also illustrate the extent to which Trump’s anti-press drumbeat has shaped public opinion about the role the media plays in covering his administration.
The article goes on to state the following:
All told, 43 percent of self-identified Republicans said that they believed “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior.” Only 36 percent disagreed with that statement. When asked if Trump should close down specific outlets, including CNN, The Washington Post, and The New York Times, nearly a quarter of Republicans (23 percent) agreed and 49 percent disagreed.
BREAKING: In a new Ipsos poll provided to @thedailybeast, 43% of Republicans believe Trump should have the power to shut down Media organizations!
In other words, 43% of the GOP wants to abolish the First Amendment!
— Ed Krassenstein (@EdKrassen) August 7, 2018
Republicans were far more likely to take a negative view of the media. Forty-eight percent of them said they believed “the news media is the enemy of the American people” (just 28 percent disagreed) while nearly four out of every five (79 percent) said that they believed “the mainstream media treats President Trump unfairly.”
But swaths of self-identified Democrats and Independents supported anti-press positions as well. According to the survey, 12 percent of Democrats and 21 percent of Independents agreed that “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior” (74 percent and 55 percent, respectively, disagreed). Additionally, 12 percent of Democrats and 26 percent of Independents agreed that “the news media is the enemy of the American people” (74 percent and 50 percent, respectively, disagreed)
To weigh in on this information provided by THEDAILYBEAST.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting THEDAILYBEAST.COM
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: White House explains bandage on Trump’s hand, Twitter goes wild (PHOTOS)
- BREAKING: Pelosi sends letter to Trump on his State of the Union address
- VIDEO: Clemson Tigers get ANOTHER meal invite after Trump’s fast-food meal
- REPORT: Kremlin responds to theory of Trump being a ‘Russian agent’
- VIDEO: Border ranchers share alarm about prayer rugs found on their property
- REPORT: Clemson quarterback says White House quote is fake
- BREAKING: Top Trump official resigned over White House Puerto Rico plan
- REPORT: Rashida Tlaib lambasts ‘right wing media’ over coverage of picture with pro-Hezbollah activist
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez, freshmen Dems attempt to hand deliver request to McConnell (pictures)
- REPORT: House passes relief bill to fund government, six Republicans vote with Dems