REPORT: Pompeo Makes Surprise Appearance in Iraq
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by FreeBeacon:
AMMAN, Jordan—Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made an unannounced appearance in Iraq on Wednesday as part of a weeklong tour throughout the Middle East aimed at reassuring worried U.S. allies and galvanizing them to take a larger role in the fight against ISIS and Iran, according to multiple U.S. officials.
Pompeo’s visit to Baghdad was not listed on his official travel itinerary for security reasons and some reporters were excluded from attending the daylong excursion. He met there with Iraqi Prime Minister Adil Abd al-Mahdi, Foreign Minister Mahammed Hakin, President Salih, Parliament Speaker Mohammed al-Halbousi, and U.S. embassy staff stationed in the country, U.S. officials told the Washington Free Beacon.
The article goes on to state the following:
Pompeo’s trip to the region, though planned beforehand, came just after President Donald Trump announced his decision to withdraw all U.S. forces from the fight against ISIS in Syria, a move that kicked-off days of confusion in the administration and among U.S. allies who viewed it as an abandonment of their security needs.
With the Syria withdrawal generating fears across the region, Pompeo’s trip—initially meant to turn up the heat on Iran—has become an effort to reassure allies that Trump has no intention of vacating the region, despite his rhetoric. Misunderstanding of the administration’s policy has been a cornerstone early in the trip, as the administration readjusts its rhetoric from an immediate withdrawal to a more lengthy and orderly pullout.
BREAKING: Pompeo Makes Surprise Appearance in Iraq in Bid to Stoke ISIS Fight – Pompeo working to galvanize region against Iran, pick up slack in ISIS fight
— Adam Kredo (@Kredo0) January 9, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit FreeBeacon. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Rep. Gaetz makes rare move to join Dem on amendment to block Trump on Iran
- BREAKING: Minnesota Lawmaker Calls For Ethics Investigation Into Rep. Ilhan Omar [VIDEO]
- REPORT: DNA tests reveal shocking percentage of suspected fraudulent migrant families were unrelated
- VIDEO: Trump presents Medal of Honor to Staff Sergeant David Bellavia
- REPORT: Tear Gas And Cages: What Immigration Enforcement Looked Like Under Vice President Joe Biden (PICTURES)
- BREAKING: Podium placement for first Democratic debate revealed
- REPORT: Gillibrand announces progress toward securing 9/11 victim benefits
- VIDEO: Mom Catches Kid Falling Off Balcony In Heart-Stopping Surveillance Video
- Text messages discredit anti-gun march organizer’s alleged statement claiming Hunter Pollack was invited to speak at march
- REPORT: Iranian president lashes out with insult at Trump White House amid new sanctions