REPORT: Pompeo says Taliban ‘overreached’ in attack that killed American
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by APNEWS.COM:
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Sunday that Taliban “overreached” with a car bomb attack in Kabul that killed an American soldier, leading President Donald Trump to call off closely-held Afghanistan peace talks planned for Camp David.
Pompeo said the Trump administration has recalled envoy Zalmay Khalilzad, who has been negotiating with Taliban leaders for months in Qatar, and it will be up to the insurgent group whether talks will resume.
The article goes on to state the following:
Critics denounced Trump’s plan to hold the Camp David meeting just days before the 18th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, and they said Trump was giving legitimacy to extremists who are responsible for the deaths of more than 2,400 U.S. service members in America’s longest war.
Pompeo said Trump wanted to look the Taliban leaders “in the eye” while Khalilzad worked to finalize an agreement that would allow the U.S. to start withdrawing troops. Pompeo defended Trump’s planned talks, saying the presidential retreat in Maryland was an “appropriate place,” given that it had been the venue for Mideast peace negotiations and other diplomatic meetings.
President Trump said he canceled a secret weekend meeting with Taliban and Afghanistan leaders after a bombing in the past week in Kabul that killed 12 people, including an American soldier, and has called off peace negotiations with the insurgent group. https://t.co/rsI1OOA1u9
— #NBC7 San Diego (@nbcsandiego) September 8, 2019
— The Peninsula (@PeninsulaQatar) September 8, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit APNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Another royal break. This time it’s Prince William and Kate Middleton, but its not an exit
- VIDEO: Students Who Tried To Kick Out White People ‘Thought They Were Gonna Be Hailed As Heroes’
- VIDEO: Former child star dies at age 25
- TRUMP: Responds to Barr’s request to stop tweeting about DOJ … in a tweet
- REPORT: Iran MP Offers Reward for Killing Trump, U.S. Ambassador Responds
- JUST IN: Major retailer to close 125 stores, shed 2,000 corporate jobs
- EXCLUSIVE: WATCH: Patrons less than enthused when Elizabeth Warren visits restaurant
- VIDEO: Gutfeld rips media after Avenatti verdict
- VIDEO: Horrific Dallas street-racing crash kills innocent driver
- REPORT: McCabe laments: ‘I don’t think I will ever be free of this president’