REPORT: Popular social movement cited as reason for McDonald’s workers’ planned strikes
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
McDonald’s workers are planning to go on strike at restaurants in 10 cities across the country next week in an effort to get the company to strengthen its policies against sexual harassment in the workplace.
Organizers of the strike, scheduled for Sept. 18 in cities including Chicago, Los Angeles and Kansas City, Mo., described it as the first multistate strike aimed specifically at combatting sexual harassment.
The article goes on to state the following:
Strike organizers cited the “Me Too” movement and a lack of response from the company to 10 complaints filed with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) in May alleging sexual harassment.
“McDonald’s has a responsibility to provide a safe place to work, and we’re going to keep speaking out until the company hears our calls for change,” Tanya Harrell, an employee in New Orleans who plans to go on strike, said in a press release Wednesday announcing the walkout.
Other cities being targeted for the strikes include Durham, N.C.; Miami; Milwaukee; Orlando, Fla.; San Francisco and St. Louis. Not every restaurant in those cities is being targeted for the strike, organizers say.
Earlier this year, women’s groups and the #fightfor15 joined forces to demand McDonald’s improve their sexual harassment policy. On September 18th, we’re going on strike. https://t.co/2aE5ptcO0T #FightFor15 #MeToo pic.twitter.com/TZfaPmkUoI
— Fight For 15 (@fightfor15) September 12, 2018
McDonald’s on Wednesday defended its anti-harassment efforts ahead of the demonstrations next week.
“We have policies, procedures and training in place that are specifically designed to prevent sexual harassment at our company and company-owned restaurants, and we firmly believe that our franchisees share this commitment,” the company told The Associated Press.
The company also told the AP that it has begun to work with outside experts to “evolve” those policies and procedures.
To weigh in on this information provided by TheHill.com, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: New details emerge on judge who upheld subpoenas on Trump’s bank records
- REPORT: Calif. Senate passes humongous spending plan that would expand benefits to people in U.S. illegally
- BREAKING: Lone Republican blocks House passage of disaster relief bill
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham predicts Dems’ reaction to declassification of documents on Trump campaign surveillance
- REPORT: House Intelligence enjoys breakthrough with Justice Department
- REPORT: Trump, Pelosi wage Twitter war over ‘stammer’ video
- REPORT: Meteorologist fact-checks Ocasio-Cortez after her bizarre claim about tornado
- REPORT: Suspected illegal immigrant accused of impregnating 11-year-old girl [VIDEO]
- VIDEO: Trump responds to Theresa May’s resignation announcement
- REPORT: Twitter permanently bans two famous Trump antagonists