REPORT: Regulators wary about privacy as Facebook expands into new technology
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by WRAL.COM:
When Facebook rolled out facial recognition tools in the European Union this year, it promoted the technology as a way to help people safeguard their online identities.
“Face recognition technology allows us to help protect you from a stranger using your photo to impersonate you,” Facebook told its users in Europe.
It was a risky move by the social network. Six years earlier, it had deactivated the technology in Europe after regulators there raised questions about its facial recognition consent system. Now, Facebook was reintroducing the service as part of an update of its user permission process in Europe.
The article goes on to state the following:
Yet Facebook is taking a huge reputational risk in aggressively pushing the technology at a time when its data-mining practices are under heightened scrutiny in the United States and Europe. Already, more than a dozen privacy and consumer groups, and at least a few officials, argue that the company’s use of facial recognition has violated people’s privacy by not obtaining appropriate user consent.
The complaints add to the barrage of criticism facing the Silicon Valley giant over its handling of users’ personal details. Several U.S. government agencies are currently investigating Facebook’s response to the harvesting of its users’ data by Cambridge Analytica, a political consulting firm.
Facebook’s push to spread facial recognition also puts the company at the center of a broader and intensifying debate about how the powerful technology should be handled. The technology can be used to remotely identify people by name without their knowledge or consent. While proponents view it as a high-tech tool to catch criminals, civil liberties experts warn it could enable a mass surveillance system.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting WRAL.COM
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Hundreds of Yale alumnae take action against Kavanaugh with open letter
- REPORT: Kavanaugh’s Yearbook Page Is ‘Horrible, Hurtful’ to Woman It Named
- BREAKING: McConnell makes big announcement about Kavanaugh vote in fiery speech (VIDEO)
- BREAKING: Kavanaugh fires back at latest allegation, releases letter
- REPORT: Conservative millennial commentator SLAMS Obamas, telling former first lady to ‘sit down’
- REPORT: Letter from Kavanaugh accuser to Grassley released to public, Grassley responds
- REPORT: Deal with accuser leads to change for vote on Kavanaugh
- BREAKING: Maryland police respond to claim about investigating Kavanaugh allegations
- BREAKING: International human rights group demands halt of Kavanaugh nomination for new bizarre allegation
- BREAKING: Ted Cruz Chased Out Of DC Restaurant By Anti-Kavanaugh Protesters (VIDEO)