REPORT: How researchers calculated death rate in Puerto Rico during Hurricane Maria

BY KAT SHEPHERD / SEPTEMBER 13, 2018 /

GET the DML NEWS APP (FREE) Click Here

Below is a report that DML News gives a 4 OUT OF 4 STARS trustworthiness rating. We base this rating on the following criteria:

  • Provides named sources
  • Reported by more than one notable outlet
  • Does not insert opinion or leading words
  • Includes supporting video, direct statements, or photos

Click here to read more about our rating system.

As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:

President Trump took heat on Thursday for questioning a report that said 2,975 people died as the result of a hurricane that hit Puerto Rico in 2017, but the truth is, no one really knows.

Puerto Rico started counting in the first few days after Hurricane Maria hit, but stopped at 64. It then commissioned a study by George Washington University, which this summer put forward an estimate that 2,975 people died as a result of the storm.

The article goes on to state the following:

That 2,975 number is an estimate that Puerto Rico has accepted, in large part because the island commonwealth has no better number to offer.

To get the number, researchers looked at how many people died in previous years, and compared that rate to the rate seen in the months after the hurricanes. It then made an estimate of how many people fled the island — the more people it assumed had left, the higher the mortality rate would be.

“Comparing these projections to observed mortality in the vital registration data, we arrived at our estimates of excess all-cause mortality attributable to the storm,” the study said.

It estimated 2,098 “excess deaths” from September to December, and 2,975 “excess deaths” in the total six month period, from September to February.

The study also found:

    • “[N]either the Department of Public Safety (DPS) nor the Central Communications Office in the Governor’s Office had written crisis and emergency risk communications plans in place.”
    • “Key leader interview respondents perceived the death count to be much higher, and held viewpoints that government leadership was disconnected from the realities of Puerto Rican communities, that there was not transparency in reporting, that information was intentionally withheld to evade blame and that adequate systems were not in place to track the death count.”
    • “There was limited community and stakeholder engagement in disaster communication planning, and ineffective communication contingency plans in place, resulting in limited public health and safety information reaching local communities posthurricane and alternative communication channels that were not systematically utilized for disease surveillance and information dissemination.”

The Wall Street Journal reports:

Puerto Rico’s government—led by a governor with the island’s pro-statehood party who is also a Democrat—faced criticism for nearly a year after the hurricane that it drastically undercounted the number of fatalities caused by Maria. Last month, it acknowledged in a document filed to Congress that the death toll from Maria was much higher than the official total.

In analyzing Puerto Rico’s death-certification process, the study found that listed causes of death included cardiac arrest, respiratory failure and septicemia. But researchers concluded that such causes were sometimes misassigned, with physicians failing to link the deaths to the hurricane.

The Milken Institute School of Public Health, which conducted the study, on Thursday issued a statement saying it stood by the science of its report, which it said was “carried out with complete independence and freedom from any kind of interference.”

To weigh in on this information provided by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.

Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW



DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM

3 Comments

  1. Donna R September 13th, 2018 at 4:02 pm

    They only want a number now because of this new hurricane. Someone decided they might be able to hang all these old deaths and any new one coming up on President Trump. They are already saying it’s “Trump’s Katrina” so you know they’re looking for another way to bash him, especially before the mid-terms. They are hoping for a high number of casualties and lots of destruction. They don’t care what that would mean to the citizens. All politics to them.

    Reply

  2. Alyce Larson September 13th, 2018 at 4:07 pm

    Do they not bury the bodies? Is there no record of cause of death and whether it was directly related to the storm? And how about factoring in all those who may have died from whom the government officials withheld the food, water and other supplies that we provided that are now being discovered? Let’s hold accountable those clowns. It is their responsibility to distribute any available supplies. It is not ours nor is it President Trump’s.

    Reply

    • Glenda Watts September 13th, 2018 at 7:24 pm

      That is what I call p_ _ _ poor planning!!!

      Reply

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *