REPORT: Scammer chickens out when he realizes target is a cop
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by WBRC.COM:
The Peebles Police Department is looking into a series of scam calls that are being made to residents in Adams County.
Police learned a lot more about what the scammers are looking for after one of their officers spent more than 11 minutes on the phone with a man claiming to be from the Publisher’s Clearing House.
The article goes on to state the following:
“He’s called several people,” Officer Jeff Bowling said. “When he called me, he asked the same questions — wanted me to provide an identification so that they could deliver the money.”
The scammer first asks who he is speaking with and then pretends as if the person answering is just who he was looking to get in touch with. The caller then states that you’ve won $950,000 and a bonus prize of a brand new Mercedes Benz that they can deliver if you’re willing to share some personal information and send them money up front.
Police say the scammers take the time to learn enough about the area to sound as if they live nearby. The person calling Peebles residents says he lives just up SR-247 in Hillburg (police believe he’s referring to Hillsboro).
According to the report, when the scammer asked for Bowin’s ID, the officer answered: “Umm — actually right now I’ve got my police ID, is that the one you’d like to see?”
The scammer continued to probe for the officer’s personal information until Bowling accused the caller of “taking advantage of everybody else,” the scammer quickly ended the call.
Listen to the call HERE.
To weigh in on this information provided by WBRC.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting WBRC.COM
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Robert DeNiro says he is banning Trump from his restaurants
- POLL: How do you rate the NFL’s new policy on the national anthem?
- REPORT: Semi truck busted pulling trailer FILLED with illegal immigrants in Texas
- REPORT: FBI Agents want Congress to subpoena them so they can blow whistle on Comey, Lynch and McCabe
- Trump Tweet: Tomi Lahren
- TRUMP TWEET: Two words
- REPORT: Comey blasts Trump’s FBI claims: ‘How will Republicans explain this to their grandchildren?’
- BREAKING: Judge rules whether Trump can block users on Twitter
- Trump Tweet: Slams James Clapper over comment on The View
- REPORT: State Dept issues warning after US employee victim of possible sonic attack in China