REPORT: Scarlett Johansson Quits Movie After Backlash About Role: ‘I’ve Learned A Lot’
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by PEOPLE.COM:
Scarlett Johansson has withdrawn from playing a transgender man in the upcoming film Rub & Tug after facing backlash for taking on the project.
“In light of recent ethical questions raised surrounding my casting as Dante Tex Gill, I have decided to respectfully withdraw my participation in the project,” Johansson, 33, told Out.com in a statement on Friday. “Our cultural understanding of transgender people continues to advance, and I’ve learned a lot from the community since making my first statement about my casting and realize it was insensitive. I have great admiration and love for the trans community and am grateful that the conversation regarding inclusivity in Hollywood continues.”
The article goes on to state the following:
The biopic will center on the life of Jean Marie Gill, who was born female but identified as a male Dante “Tex” Gill and ran a massage parlor and prostitution business in Pittsburgh in the 1970s and ’80s. The July 2 announcement of Johansson’s casting was immediately met with criticism for not using a trans actor in the role.
Now after a group of trans male actors even posted their auditions for some of Johansson’s famous roles to make a point about taking parts that would be better suited for other actors, the four-time Golden Globe nominee has reconsidered.
“According to GLAAD, LGBTQ+ characters dropped 40% in 2017 from the previous year, with no representation of trans characters in any major studio release,” Johansson continued in her statement to Out. “While I would have loved the opportunity to bring Dante’s story and transition to life, I understand why many feel he should be portrayed by a transgender person, and I am thankful that this casting debate, albeit controversial, has sparked a larger conversation about diversity and representation in film. I believe that all artists should be considered equally and fairly.”
To weigh in on this information provided by PEOPLE.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting PEOPLE.COM
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: City Named The ‘Rat Capital’ Of The U.S.
- BREAKING: Avenatti makes shocking offer regarding Michael Cohen (video)
- POLL: Should Whoopi issue a public apology to Judge Jeanine?
- BREAKING: Justice Dept releases surveillance applications for former Trump aide
- BREAKING: Gunman takes hostages inside a Trader Joe’s (video)
- Trump Tweet: Statement on hostage situation at Trader Joe’s store
- BREAKING: One DEAD, gunman holding hostages at LA Trader Joe’s SURRENDERS
- VIDEO: Whoopi Goldberg: Pirro wasn’t kicked out, she left cursing at staff
- CLAIM: Conservative columnist: ‘I would take Obama back in a nanosecond’
- VIDEO: Judge Jeanine Pirro’s guest appearance on ‘The View’ ends in explosive scene with Whoopi