REPORT: SCOTUS ruling favors death row inmate ‘betrayed by his lawyer’
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by NYTimes.com:
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court issued rulings on Monday in favor of a death row inmate whose lawyer disobeyed his instructions and a driver of a rental car that was searched without his permission after the police learned he was not listed as an authorized driver on the rental agreement.
The death penalty case concerned Robert McCoy, who was sentenced to death in Louisiana after his own lawyer told the jury Mr. McCoy had committed a triple murder.
The article goes on to state the following:
Mr. McCoy had insisted that he was innocent and had told his lawyer, Larry English, that he wanted to clear his name. But Mr. English pursued a different strategy in the 2011 trial, hoping that a candid acknowledgment of his client’s actions would earn him credibility during the trial’s sentencing phase.
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, writing for the majority in the 6-to-3 decision, said Mr. English was not entitled to disregard his client’s instructions. His disloyalty, she wrote, required a new trial.
To weigh in on this information provided by NYTimes.com, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting NYTimes.com
Trending on DML News
- EXCLUSIVE: Hondurans caravan members carry their flag, burn US flag with swastika painted on it (PHOTO)
- POLL: Do you believe the migrant caravan will actually be turned away at the U.S. border?
- BREAKING: Mexican newspaper provides shocking new estimate of migrant caravan numbers
- VIDEO: Univision anchor makes claim about caravan migrants
- VIDEO: Kim Kardashian sticks up for Kanye’s support of Trump on Alec Baldwin show
- BREAKING: Retired Supreme Court Justice sends letter, has ‘beginning stages of dementia’
- VIDEO: Bangladeshis Joined Migrant Caravan In Guatemala, Univision Correspondent Reports
- VIDEO: Obama comments on improving economy
- REPORT: Restaurant where McConnell accosted releases statement
- REPORT: Grassley demands, and receives, explanation for Air Force’s $326G coffee cup spending