REPORT: Social media giant scolded by judge over ‘troubling theme’ in privacy case
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by Bloomberg:
A judge scolded Facebook Inc. for misconstruing his own rulings as he ordered the company to face a high-stakes trial accusing it of violating user privacy.
The social media giant has misinterpreted prior court orders by continuing to assert the “faulty proposition” that users can’t win their lawsuit under an Illinois biometric privacy law without proving an “actual injury,” U.S. District Judge James Donato said in a ruling Monday. Likewise, the company’s argument that it’s immune from having to pay a minimum of $1,000, and as much as $5,000, for each violation of the law is “not a sound proposition,” he said.
The article goes on to say:
Under the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act, the damages in play at a jury trial set for July 9 in San Francisco could easily reach into the billions of dollars for the millions of users whose photos were allegedly scanned without consent.
Apart from his concerns about the “troubling theme” in Facebook’s legal arguments, Donato ruled a trial must go forward because there are multiple factual issues in dispute, including a sharp disagreement over how the company’s photo-tagging software processes human faces.
To weigh in on this information provided by Bloomberg, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting Bloomberg
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Wasserman Schultz appointed to House committee charged with oversight of Donald Trump
- BREAKING: President Trump sends letter to Pelosi regarding State of the Union speech
- BREAKING: Pelosi responds to President Trump regarding his State of the Union address
- VIDEO: Kentucky teen in viral video stands firm during grilling by NBC host
- REPORT: Comedian dead at 32
- VIDEO: Sarah Sanders responds to Ocasio-Cortez’s end-of-the-world prediction
- BREAKING: Police announce arrest made in case of incapacitated woman who gave birth (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: President Trump responds to news of Pelosi’s dis-invite letter
- VIDEO: Trump slams Pelosi for cancelling the State of the Union address
- VIDEO: CNN guest: ‘I am triggered, I’m so triggered’ by MAGA hats