REPORT: Social media giant scolded by judge over ‘troubling theme’ in privacy case
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by Bloomberg:
A judge scolded Facebook Inc. for misconstruing his own rulings as he ordered the company to face a high-stakes trial accusing it of violating user privacy.
The social media giant has misinterpreted prior court orders by continuing to assert the “faulty proposition” that users can’t win their lawsuit under an Illinois biometric privacy law without proving an “actual injury,” U.S. District Judge James Donato said in a ruling Monday. Likewise, the company’s argument that it’s immune from having to pay a minimum of $1,000, and as much as $5,000, for each violation of the law is “not a sound proposition,” he said.
The article goes on to say:
Under the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act, the damages in play at a jury trial set for July 9 in San Francisco could easily reach into the billions of dollars for the millions of users whose photos were allegedly scanned without consent.
Apart from his concerns about the “troubling theme” in Facebook’s legal arguments, Donato ruled a trial must go forward because there are multiple factual issues in dispute, including a sharp disagreement over how the company’s photo-tagging software processes human faces.
To weigh in on this information provided by Bloomberg, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting Bloomberg
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Husband confesses to killing pregnant wife, 2 daughters
- BREAKING: Omarosa releases secret tape of Lara Trump offering her campaign job after firing (Video)
- REPORT: Lara Trump fires back over secret Omarosa tape
- REPORT: Pregnant mom and her 2 daughters missing, may be endangered
- REPORT: School cancels classes after parents threaten ‘open hunting season’ on transgender girl
- Trump Tweet: Trolls Omarosa with special video
- UPDATE: Bodies believed to be pregnant Colorado mom, kids found on oil property (video)
- EXCLUSIVE: Comey responds to Trump revoking Brennan’s security clearance
- VIDEO: Police make arrest after 46 people overdose at Connecticut park
- BREAKING: Suspected ISIS member arrested in Sacramento County, allegedly committed ‘most heinous crimes’