REPORT: Sources say Trump is questioning his secretary of defense pick

JUNE 11, 2019

As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:

President Trump is questioning his decision to have Patrick Shanahan serve as secretary of defense, according to a new report.

Trump pressed at least three people for their thoughts on Shanahan and whether there were any possibilities for the position last week during his trip to Normandy to remember the 75th anniversary of D-Day, four sources familiar with the situation told NBC News.

The article goes on to state the following:

Army Secretary Mark Esper’s name was floated as a potential nominee, and was weighed as a possible candidate in the past. It’s unclear why Trump is thinking about other candidates to replace Jim Mattis, who resigned as secretary of defense in December.

NBC News reports that they have 4 sources who confirmed the president’s reservations about Shanahan. From their report:

While in Europe to commemorate D-Day, Trump asked at least 3 people if they had any suggestions for different candidates, said 4 sources.

Asked by NBC News Tuesday about Shanahan’s nomination, Trump said he “put it out officially” weeks ago and now the acting secretary “has to go through the process.”

The people familiar with the president’s conversations about Shanahan last week said he didn’t articulate what is giving him pause about his decision. But, they said, he made it clear he’s wondering if there’s another option.

The article goes on to state the following:

In a statement, Lt. Col. Joe Buccino, a spokesman for Shanahan, said, “Acting Secretary Shanahan is focused solely on our military operations, the highest quality care for our service members and their families, and implementation of the National Defense Strategy.”

Zeke Miller, White House reporter for the Associated Press, said in a tweet that Trump spoke about Shanahan’s nomination as Secretary of Defense. “It’s done…I put it out, officially,” Trump is quoted as saying.

Lucas Tomlinson of Fox News confirmed the quote in his own tweet. Tomlinson said, “[The] Senate confirmation hearing for Shanahan [is] expected later this month.”

To get more information about this article, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *