REPORT: Staggering number of college students suffer disturbing thoughts amid pressure
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
About 20 percent of college students have weighed suicide, according to a study by researchers from Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
Using data from the American College Health Association-National College Health Assessment, which surveys 67,000 undergraduate students from across the nation, the researchers also found that 1 in 4 students suffered from a mental health disorder in the prior year.
Cindy Liu, the lead author of the paper, said in an interview with the Boston Globe that “pressure to achieve” is one of the reasons for this trend. Liu applauds the destigmatization of mental health issues and the rise in mental health awareness on college campuses. But she fails to acknowledge one major factor.
The article goes on to state the following:
Students are forced into the “college track” because of the aforementioned pressure to achieve — pressure from their parents, teachers, counselors, and other mentors. Yet if there is one statistic that proves that college isn’t right for everyone, it’s that only 54.8 percent of students actually graduate. The rest drop out.
To make matters worse, many students are largely unprepared to face the stresses of college.
In an interview with the Boston Globe , professor Sarah Lipson of Boston University said she believes students today are less resilient. Millennials have long been called the “snowflake generation,” but this trend has continued through Generation Z.
— School Money (@schoolmoneyorg) September 12, 2018
Osseo Senior High alumna Cindy Liu, Ph.D., is leading important research into stress faced by college students and the impact that has on suicide risks. More: https://t.co/6dy8stdDrv
— Osseo Area Schools (@ISD279) September 11, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Ronald Reagan’s daughter makes statement on Trump’s presidency
- REPORT: Former GOP governor expected to primary Trump in 2020 calls him a “national embarrassment”
- REPORT: Top Dem’s massive probe of President Trump hits a snag
- REPORT: Conway punches back after Trump calls him ‘husband from hell’
- VIDEO: CNN’s Jim Acosta complains about Rose Garden press conference where he didn’t get a question
- REPORT: Republican shames Ilhan Omar in blistering op-ed
- VIDEO: DML WARNS: Fox News will screw President Trump
- TRUMP TWEET: Launches vicious new attack against Kellyanne Conway’s husband
- TRUMP TWEET: Big announcement and a VERY touching video
- Trump administration proposes cuts to e-verify 2020