REPORT: State Agency Mistakenly Wires $93K To Cyberscammer
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by CBSLOCAL.COM:
BOSTON (CBS) – The Massachusetts Clean Energy Center mistakenly wired $93,679 in public funds to a criminal’s bank account, according to a new report by the state auditor.
The quasi-state agency is yet another victim of a sophisticated cyber scam highlighted in a WBZ I-Team story in May.
The scheme is responsible for $5 billion in losses globally and targets everyone from big businesses to individual homeowners. As the I-Team previously reported, the Town of Brookline nearly lost taxpayer money to the scam last year.
According to the audit by State Auditor Suzanne Bump, leaders at the MassCEC were slow to report the fraudulent transfer to law enforcement and their board of directors. As a result, the agency only recovered $25,261 in stolen funds.
As a result of our audit, @MassCEC is taking steps to strengthen its policies and procedures for wire transfers to ensure it does not fall victim to cyberscammers again https://t.co/H3EwjDZvDu @masslivenews
— Suzanne M. Bump (@MassAuditor) June 12, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by CBSLOCAL.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
— Kelser Corporation (@KelserCorp) June 12, 2018
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting CBSLOCAL.COM
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: House Dems to offer additional funding for ‘border security’ to reopen government
- VIDEO: Judge Jeanine tears Nancy Pelosi to shreds in blistering monologue, concludes with shocking image
- BREAKING: Pelosi releases blistering statement on Trump’s offer to legalize Dreamers for wall money
- BREAKING: Inside the Mueller team’s decision to dispute BuzzFeed’s explosive story on Trump and Cohen
- REPORT: Four boys ages 12 to 14 are charged with kidnapping and raping a girl
- BREAKING: Details leaked on Trump’s planned announcement, expected compromise on shutdown
- EXCLUSIVE: Ann Coulter lambasts President Trump’s compromise proposal with Twitter rampage
- BREAKING: President Trump makes announcement on proposal to end shutdown (VIDEO)
- POLL: Do you approve of President Trump’s ‘immigration compromise’ proposal?
- BREAKING: Skating champion dies by suicide day after being suspended