REPORT: State Agency Mistakenly Wires $93K To Cyberscammer
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by CBSLOCAL.COM:
BOSTON (CBS) – The Massachusetts Clean Energy Center mistakenly wired $93,679 in public funds to a criminal’s bank account, according to a new report by the state auditor.
The quasi-state agency is yet another victim of a sophisticated cyber scam highlighted in a WBZ I-Team story in May.
The scheme is responsible for $5 billion in losses globally and targets everyone from big businesses to individual homeowners. As the I-Team previously reported, the Town of Brookline nearly lost taxpayer money to the scam last year.
According to the audit by State Auditor Suzanne Bump, leaders at the MassCEC were slow to report the fraudulent transfer to law enforcement and their board of directors. As a result, the agency only recovered $25,261 in stolen funds.
As a result of our audit, @MassCEC is taking steps to strengthen its policies and procedures for wire transfers to ensure it does not fall victim to cyberscammers again https://t.co/H3EwjDZvDu @masslivenews
— Suzanne M. Bump (@MassAuditor) June 12, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by CBSLOCAL.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
— Kelser Corporation (@KelserCorp) June 12, 2018
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting CBSLOCAL.COM
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: New Mexico compound mysteriously destroyed by authorities
- UPDATE: Colorado girls’ bodies were submerged in crude oil for 4 days
- REPORT: ESPN makes announcement about national anthem for NFL games
- VIDEO: Chilling family videos emerge of murdered woman killed by husband
- VIDEO: Toddler recorded in family video praising the father accused of killing her
- REPORT: NYT gives estimate of tapes Omarosa believed to have in stash
- REPORT: Review of emails from DOJ’s Bruce Ohr reveals new details on dossier scandal
- BREAKING: Court deals another blow to Trump delay of an Obama regulation
- REPORT: Parkland shooter: Seven key facts hidden in the school district’s report
- BREAKING: Trump calls Justice official a ‘disgrace,’ vows to revoke clearance (Video)