REPORT: State House passes bill to award electoral votes to whoever wins the popular vote
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
The Democratic-led Virginia House of Delegates has passed legislation that seeks to award the state’s electoral votes to the presidential candidate that wins the national popular vote in an election.
The measure, also known as House Bill 177, passed the legislative chamber in a 51-46 vote on Tuesday after clearing the body’s Privileges and Elections Committee in a vote last week.
The article goes on to state the following:
If the legislation is passed by the Senate, where Democrats also hold control, and signed into law by the governor, Virginia would subsequently be entered into the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.
“Under the compact, Virginia agrees to award its electoral votes to the presidential ticket that receives the most popular votes in all 50 states and the District of Columbia,” according to a bill summary. “The compact goes into effect when states cumulatively possessing a majority of the electoral votes have joined the compact.”
15 states and Washington, D.C., have entered the compact, according to National Popular Vote.
The movement needs another 74 electoral votes in order for the compact to take effect.
The Democratic-led Virginia House of Delegates has passed legislation that seeks to award the state’s electoral votes to the presidential candidate that wins the national popular vote in an election, writes The Hill. https://t.co/fWJCgYUKTx
— clevelanddotcom (@clevelanddotcom) February 12, 2020
“This is hilarious. This is only happening in blue states, which means when Trump DOES win the popular vote this year he’ll win the Electoral College in a landslide,” tweeted Phil Valentine.
This is hilarious. This is only happening in blue states, which means when Trump DOES win the popular vote this year he’ll win the Electoral College in a landslide.https://t.co/snQ7ubjcSC
— Phil Valentine (@ValentineShow) February 12, 2020
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Another royal break. This time it’s Prince William and Kate Middleton, but its not an exit
- VIDEO: Former child star dies at age 25
- VIDEO: CNN Anchor Tells Nancy Pelosi That Trump Was Acquitted — She Interrupts, Claims He Wasn’t
- VIDEO: Students Who Tried To Kick Out White People ‘Thought They Were Gonna Be Hailed As Heroes’
- VIDEO: ‘F—ing Traitor’: Sen. Collins Releases Abusive Voicemails Ahead of Impeachment Vote
- REPORT: Rudy Giuliani predicts Trump will be ‘totally vindicated’ by ‘smoking gun’ in Hunter Biden probe: ‘We’ve got the documents’
- REPORT: Border Patrol posts multiple reports of truck loads of illegal aliens smuggled into US [PHOTOS]
- VIDEO: Trey Gowdy reacts to DOJ decision on McCabe
- REPORT: CBP Officers Seize HUGE Liquid Meth Load [PHOTOS]
- VIDEO: ‘Blood Drained From Adam Schiff’s Face’: John Barrasso Says Schiff’s ‘Parody’ Backfired