REPORT: State senate backs effort to replace Electoral College with national popular vote
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by BANGORDAILYNEWS.COM:
AUGUSTA, Maine — The Maine Senate voted narrowly on Tuesday to join an interstate effort that would aim to undo the Electoral College in its current configuration by awarding presidential electors based on the national winner of the popular vote.
The bill from Senate President Troy Jackson, D-Allagash, passed the Senate in a 19-16 vote on Tuesday and faces further action in both chambers. If it becomes law, Maine would join 15 other jurisdictions in an interstate compact aimed at electing presidents by popular vote.
The article goes on to state the following:
Presidential elections are decided by the Electoral College, which gives small states an outsized influence by apportioning electors based on the members of a state’s congressional delegation. Five presidents — including Republican Donald Trump — have been elected without winning the popular vote. Maine is one of two states to award electors by congressional district.
— BDN Politics (@BDNPolitics) May 14, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit BANGORDAILYNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting BANGORDAILYNEWS.COM
Trending on DML News
- Footage of NY legislator’s embarrassing traffic stop released to the public (VIDEO)
- REPORT: Lion kills worker after escaping enclosure at North Carolina animal center
- REPORT: Dershowitz suggests FBI ‘thoroughly’ investigate Swetnick affidavit, Avenatti responds
- REPORT: High school student killed, 3 teens injured in crash one day after prom
- REPORT: CNN host calls Benghazi scandal a ‘sham’ during debate on Mueller probe
- REPORT: State House votes to expand number of medical professions allowed to perform abortions
- REPORT: Ben Carson sends Oreos to Democrat who quizzed him
- BREAKING: Pelosi speaks after closed-door Dem meeting, makes allegation against Trump [VIDEO]
- EXCLUSIVE: Pelosi gives her version of explosive meeting with Trump [VIDEO]
- REPORT: McConnell campaign raises stunning haul from ‘Cocaine Mitch’ T-shirt sales