REPORT: Supreme Court announces ruling on law banning sports betting
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
The Supreme Court has struck down a federal law that banned sports betting in almost every state, a precedent-shattering decision that opens the door to legalized sports gambling nationwide.
New Jersey has been fighting since 2010 to make sports wagering legal at racetracks and casinos in the state, but had repeatedly been blocked by the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) of 1992.
The article goes on to state the following:
The Court ruled 6-3 that PASPA’s provisions prohibiting states from authorizing and licensing a sports gambling scheme violates the anti-commandeering rule.
In delivering the opinion of the court, Justice Samuel Alito said legalization of sports gambling requires an important policy choice, but the choice is not the court’s to make.
“Congress can regulate sports gambling directly, but if it elects not to do so, each State is free to act on its own. Our job is to interpret the law Congress has enacted and decide whether it is consistent with the Constitution. PASPA is not,” he said.
The Hill also noted:
The court ruling’s Monday is a win for former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who brought the lawsuit, and a major defeat for the NCAA, NBA, NHL and NFL, which had urged the court to uphold the law.
To weigh in on this information provided by TheHill.com, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
A great day for the rights of states and their people to make their own decisions. New Jersey citizens wanted sports gambling and the federal Gov’t had no right to tell them no. The Supreme Court agrees with us today. I am proud to have fought for the rights of the people of NJ.
— Governor Christie (@GovChristie) May 14, 2018
BREAKING: Supreme Court strikes down federal anti sports gambling law, gives states go-ahead to allow betting on sports.
— The Associated Press (@AP) May 14, 2018
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: New Mexico compound mysteriously destroyed by authorities
- REPORT: Backlash erupts over top exec of famous hot dog brand hosting Trump fundraiser
- REPORT: Federal judge orders Trump to reinstate Obama-era rule
- REPORT: Family of 7 dies on end-of-summer trip
- REPORT: NYT gives estimate of tapes Omarosa believed to have in stash
- UPDATE: Bodies believed to be pregnant Colorado mom, kids found on oil property (video)
- REPORT: Review of emails from DOJ’s Bruce Ohr reveals new details on dossier scandal
- BREAKING: Court deals another blow to Trump delay of an Obama regulation
- REPORT: Student stabs classmate multiple times on first day of school (VIDEO)
- REPORT: Satanic Temple brings demonic statue to state capitol to protest Ten Commandments monument