REPORT: Supreme Court announces ruling on law banning sports betting
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
The Supreme Court has struck down a federal law that banned sports betting in almost every state, a precedent-shattering decision that opens the door to legalized sports gambling nationwide.
New Jersey has been fighting since 2010 to make sports wagering legal at racetracks and casinos in the state, but had repeatedly been blocked by the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) of 1992.
The article goes on to state the following:
The Court ruled 6-3 that PASPA’s provisions prohibiting states from authorizing and licensing a sports gambling scheme violates the anti-commandeering rule.
In delivering the opinion of the court, Justice Samuel Alito said legalization of sports gambling requires an important policy choice, but the choice is not the court’s to make.
“Congress can regulate sports gambling directly, but if it elects not to do so, each State is free to act on its own. Our job is to interpret the law Congress has enacted and decide whether it is consistent with the Constitution. PASPA is not,” he said.
The Hill also noted:
The court ruling’s Monday is a win for former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who brought the lawsuit, and a major defeat for the NCAA, NBA, NHL and NFL, which had urged the court to uphold the law.
To weigh in on this information provided by TheHill.com, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
A great day for the rights of states and their people to make their own decisions. New Jersey citizens wanted sports gambling and the federal Gov’t had no right to tell them no. The Supreme Court agrees with us today. I am proud to have fought for the rights of the people of NJ.
— Governor Christie (@GovChristie) May 14, 2018
BREAKING: Supreme Court strikes down federal anti sports gambling law, gives states go-ahead to allow betting on sports.
— The Associated Press (@AP) May 14, 2018
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Robert DeNiro says he is banning Trump from his restaurants
- POLL: How do you rate the NFL’s new policy on the national anthem?
- REPORT: Semi truck busted pulling trailer FILLED with illegal immigrants in Texas
- REPORT: FBI Agents want Congress to subpoena them so they can blow whistle on Comey, Lynch and McCabe
- Trump Tweet: Tomi Lahren
- TRUMP TWEET: Two words
- REPORT: Comey blasts Trump’s FBI claims: ‘How will Republicans explain this to their grandchildren?’
- BREAKING: Judge rules whether Trump can block users on Twitter
- Trump Tweet: Slams James Clapper over comment on The View
- REPORT: State Dept issues warning after US employee victim of possible sonic attack in China