REPORT: Surprising paradox: Continent leads the world in boozing, tobacco AND longer lifespans
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by Bloomberg:
[Europe] leads the world in both alcohol and tobacco consumption, it also enjoys the longest life expectancy, 77.9 years, according to a report published Wednesday by the World Health Organization.
There’s plenty of good news about the continent’s wellbeing in the agency’s European Health Report 2018. Europe is on track to reduce early deaths from cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes and chronic respiratory diseases by 1.5 percent a year by 2020. Gaps in important health measures — infant mortality, primary school enrollment and unemployment — continue to shrink between the region’s healthiest and unhealthiest locations, according to the report.
The article goes on to say:
That’s helped Europe edge ahead of the other five global regions in terms of longevity. The Western Pacific comes in second at 76.9 years, followed by the Americas at 76.8, Southeast Asia at 69.5, the Eastern Mediterranean at 69.1 and Africa at 61.2 years, according to the agency. Average global life expectancy is 72 years.
Despite Europe’s longevity ranking, residents should still heed warnings on smoking, drinking and other behaviors, said Zsuzsanna Jakab, regional director for the agency.
“Lifestyle-related risk factors give cause for concern, as they may slow, or even reverse the great gains in life expectancy if left unchecked,” she said in a statement.
— HealthThoroughFare (@HealthThorough) September 12, 2018
Europeans live longer and healthier lives but progress is uneven,
— WHO at the EU (@WHOatEU) September 12, 2018
Terrible headline writing by @business — instead of a headline that falsely implies it’s ok to drink & smoke why not … “Europeans live the longest, and could live even longer if they just drank and smoked less.” https://t.co/OJiXfgMNS8
— Mike Nolet (@mikeonhealth) September 12, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by Bloomberg, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting Bloomberg
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Kellyanne Conway changes Twitter bio after her husband rips on Trump
- EXCLUSIVE: Border Patrol releases ANOTHER video of migrants destroying new wire on fence (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Media quiet about violent clash in Tijuana as Mexicans protest migrant caravan
- BREAKING: Democrat Stacey Abrams Ends Bid For Georgia Governor, Decrying ‘Suppression’
- REPORT: Migrants won’t see armed US soldiers on border
- REPORT: Michael Avenatti is evicted from his law offices in Newport Beach
- REPORT: Woolsey fire destroys movie director’s home, burns entire life savings in ‘fire-proof’ safe (PHOTOS)
- REPORT: Stormy Daniels explodes on Twitter in rant at airline over lost luggage before speech
- REPORT: Kellyanne Conway changes Twitter bio amid media coverage of her husband
- REPORT: Details reported on judge who backed CNN against White House