REPORT: Texas landowners preparing to fight eminent domain over proposed border wall
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
Some landowners with property along the U.S.-Mexico border are preparing legal challenges with the expectation that the Trump administration will use eminent domain to seize land for construction of the president’s planned border wall.
The Associated Press reports that the Trump administration would face legal challenges from multiple landowners in Texas, challenges that would not be bypassed if the president follows through on his threats to declare a national emergency over illegal border crossings in order to build a wall.
The article goes on to state the following:
“You could give me a trillion dollars and I wouldn’t take it,” landowner Eloisa Cavazos, who owns property along the Rio Grande river, told the AP. “It’s not about money.”
One group the Trump administration will have to face in its fight to secure land for the wall is a Roman Catholic diocese: La Lomita chapel, a historic church built in the late 1800s that still holds services today, has fought to prevent government surveyors from accessing its land, which reportedly falls directly in the administration’s desired enforcement zone.
— The Hill (@thehill) January 10, 2019
The federal government has started surveying land along the border in Texas for wall construction. Rather than surrender their land, some property owners are digging in, vowing to reject buyout offers and preparing to fight in court. https://t.co/xEGTEi7wWE
— Julie Pace (@jpaceDC) January 10, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Rep. Gaetz makes rare move to join Dem on amendment to block Trump on Iran
- BREAKING: Minnesota Lawmaker Calls For Ethics Investigation Into Rep. Ilhan Omar [VIDEO]
- UPDATE: David Ortiz shooting: Authorities reveal plot to kill ‘Big Papi’, 6 detained
- REPORT: DNA tests reveal shocking percentage of suspected fraudulent migrant families were unrelated
- VIDEO: Trump presents Medal of Honor to Staff Sergeant David Bellavia
- REPORT: Tear Gas And Cages: What Immigration Enforcement Looked Like Under Vice President Joe Biden (PICTURES)
- BREAKING: Podium placement for first Democratic debate revealed
- REPORT: Gillibrand announces progress toward securing 9/11 victim benefits
- REPORT: Young female cop shot and killed just 2 weeks after being sworn in
- Text messages discredit anti-gun march organizer’s alleged statement claiming Hunter Pollack was invited to speak at march