REPORT: Theater company faced backlash after showing anti-abortion film
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
A Canadian theater company defended their decision to screen Unplanned, a film about how a former Planned Parenthood clinic director quit her job after taking part in an abortion procedure, after calls for a boycott swirled on social media.
“I have been working in this business for well over 30 years and controversial films on the big screen are not new to me, to Cineplex or to the industry as a whole,” Cineplex president Ellis Jacob said in a statement. “That said, the decision to move forward with screenings of this particular film was a complicated one and it was not made easily or lightly. But as Canada’s largest film exhibition company, I am confident that it was the right decision for us, for you, and for our country.”
The article goes on to state the following:
Jacob pointed to how when he immigrated to Canada in 1969, the country did not not shy away from different view points and experiences.
“In this instance many of us will have to set aside our own personal beliefs and remember that living in a country that censors content, opinions and points of view because they are different from our own is not a country that any of us would want to live in,” Jacob said.
A Canadian theater company faced backlash after it showed a pro-choice film. https://t.co/4pvubSFEbk
— Washington Examiner (@dcexaminer) July 9, 2019
— Yahoo Canada News (@YahooCanadaNews) July 9, 2019
More @CBCNews on the upcoming premiere in Canada of the film ‘Unplanned,’ based on the story of a Planned Parenthood clinic director in Texas who becomes an anti-abortion speaker. https://t.co/0TV1oEsM1Q
— CBC News Alerts (@CBCAlerts) July 9, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: AOC makes shocking statement about Mitch McConnell
- REPORT: Trump Administration Makes Decision On Granting Venezuelans Temporary Protection
- BREAKING: Retired Supreme Court Justice dies at age 99
- REPORT: Screenwriter Behind ‘The Hate U Give,’ Dies Day Before Film Premiere
- EXCLUSIVE: Chris Pratt criticized for wearing patriotic flag shirt; here’s how you can take a stand
- REPORT: Trump fires back with blistering tweet at Tillerson over Putin statement
- REPORT: 18-year-old pilot and pageant queen dies in fiery plane crash
- Team DML Membership Confirmation
- VIDEO: Kevin McCarthy condemns House vote on Trump’s ‘go back’ comments
- REPORT: Priest’s son charged in murder of American biologist in Greece as grisly new details emerge