REPORT: Top Democrat sets new deadline for Trump’s tax returns
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
Congress and the Trump administration are inching closer to a legal fight over President Trump’s tax returns.
House Ways and Means Chairman Richard Neal, D-Mass., wrote Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin on Saturday with a new deadline to transmit Trump’s tax returns after Mnuchin missed Neal’s original April 10 deadline. The Ways and Means chairman now wants the administration to provide Trump’s tax returns to his committee by April 23.
The article goes on to state the following:
“I am aware that concerns have been raised regarding my request and the authority of the Committee. Those concerns lack merit,” wrote Neal. “Moreover, judicial precedent commands that none of the concerns raised can legitimately be used to deny the Committee’s request.”
Neal added that the law allowing him to request and review those returns is “unambiguous,” and that he would view Mnuchin as violating the law if he blocked cooperation by the new deadline he set on Saturday.
“Please know that, if you fail to comply, your failure will be interpreted as a denial of my request,” said Neal.
This morning, chairman @RepRichardNeal sent the following letter to IRS commissioner Rettig after the IRS missed the April 10th deadline to furnish six years of the president’s personal & business #taxreturns: pic.twitter.com/aHSNvEJwk3
— Ways & Means Committee (@WaysMeansCmte) April 13, 2019
This is the first time Congress has requested sensitive tax information from the president, brought on by the fact that @realDonaldTrump was the first presidential candidate in decades not to release his tax returns.https://t.co/odz59xKap3
— Washington Examiner (@dcexaminer) April 13, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- UPDATE: David Ortiz shooting: Authorities reveal plot to kill ‘Big Papi’, 6 detained
- REPORT: Mom posts warning about popular video game after 7-year-old’s avatar ‘violently gang raped’
- VIDEO: Trump presents Medal of Honor to Staff Sergeant David Bellavia
- REPORT: Tear Gas And Cages: What Immigration Enforcement Looked Like Under Vice President Joe Biden (PICTURES)
- REPORT: Gillibrand announces progress toward securing 9/11 victim benefits
- REPORT: ‘Latinos For Trump’ Launching In Miami as Democrats target Florida Hispanics for 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Landowner of private border wall faces charges, prison (video)
- REPORT: Heartbreaking footage reveals Venezuela crisis as mother forced to carry dead daughter through streets
- REPORT: Young female cop shot and killed just 2 weeks after being sworn in
- Text messages discredit anti-gun march organizer’s alleged statement claiming Hunter Pollack was invited to speak at march