REPORT: Trump blocks appointment of Obama-nominated UN racism official
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by Politico:
The Trump administration will not nominate anyone to serve on a United Nations committee on racism, the latest sign of a U.S. retreat from international bodies and traditional human rights priorities.
A State Department official said the White House intervened to prevent the expected renomination of a human rights lawyer chosen by former President Barack Obama for the 18-member U.N. Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination.
The article goes on to state the following:
The official said the Trump administration may simply have run out of time to find a replacement before a deadline. Even so, the official added, “it cements the narrative that the Americans just don’t care about these kinds of things anymore.”
A senior Trump administration official, however, insisted otherwise.
“Although the United States did not nominate a candidate this year for election to the committee, that in no way diminishes our global leadership on efforts to eliminate racial discrimination,” the official said.
U.S. declines to renominate Gay McDougall—a key defender of the UN’s antisemitic Durban Racism Conference—to post on UN racism committee.
— Hillel Neuer (@HillelNeuer) April 14, 2019
The Trump administration will not nominate anyone to serve on a U.N. committee on racism, the latest sign of a U.S. retreat from international bodies and traditional human rights prioritieshttps://t.co/rpEFrEJGFC
— POLITICO (@politico) April 12, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit Politico. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: NYPD cop identified who killed himself behind Staten Island precinct
- Illegal alien stowaways die after falling off plane (video)
- Officer kills suspect who mowed down pedestrian in Philly (video)
- EXCLUSIVE: President Trump under attack! How to show your support
- POLL: Most Americans believe Obama improperly surveilled Trump
- BREAKING: Pelosi releases blistering statement on Trump’s offer to legalize Dreamers for wall money
- REPORT: Omar fires off angry message to Trump about congressional ‘#MuslimBan’
- REPORT: Rachel Dolezal comes out as bisexual during Pride Month
- REPORT: Dozens died in North Korean earthquake