REPORT: Trump, Bush could assert executive privilege over Kavanaugh files Dems want
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by DAILYCALLER.COM:
President Donald Trump and former President George W. Bush can review a request from House Democrats for records relating to Justice Brett Kavanaugh’s work as a top White House aide.
The National Archives, the agency to whom Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee directed their request, is required by federal law to notify the sitting president and former presidents of such demands, so that the presidents can review the relevant records for possible assertions of executive privilege.
The article goes on to state the following:
During Kavanaugh’s confirmation process, Democrats objected when the administration withheld almost 30,000 records from Kavanaugh’s work as a White House lawyer. Legal representatives of the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum told the Senate Judiciary Committee those documents touch “the core of a president’s constitutional privileges,” including counsel to the president himself, advice about prospective judicial nominees, and discussions relating to legislation or executive orders under consideration.
Executive privilege is defined as:
the privilege, claimed by the president for the executive branch of the US government, of withholding information in the public interest.
“This power can be used in two circumstances: ‘(1) certain national security needs and (2) protecting the privacy of White House deliberations when it is in the public interest to do so.’ The second part is especially valuable, as it allows presidential advisors to freely speak their minds without the threat of a subpoena,” ConstitutionCenter.org explains.
“House Democrats request Justice Brett Kavanaugh’s White House records for review”: Alex Swoyer of The Washington Times has this report.
And David Morgan of Reuters reports that “U.S. agency says Trump, Bush can review Kavanaugh records request.” https://t.co/OU6cNB2Ucc
— Howard Bashman (@howappealing) August 8, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit DAILYCALLER.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Fox contributor files $15M defamation suit for ‘reckless disregard for the truth’ against media outlet
- VIDEO: Michelle Obama declares she’s ‘waiting to be asked’ for help by Democratic nominee
- VIDEO: Video captures horrifying moment of deadly New Zealand volcano eruption, Americans among tourists trapped on island
- VIDEO: Witness makes admission about Ukranian phone call, Schiff jumps in to halt Nunes’s questioning
- REPORT: Mother of San Bernardino terrorist fighting DOJ over life insurance
- REPORT: Social Security announces Cost of Living increase for 2020
- EXCLUSIVE: Speculation running wild over mystery about Pelosi’s nose [PHOTOS]
- BREAKING: Chilling new details revealed about Saudi students’ actions before Florida naval base attack [VIDEO]
- VIDEO: Rudy Giuliani snaps at Fox News host: ‘I’m embarrassing you’
- REPORT: Terror attack? Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis calls for gun restrictions after Pensacola shooting