REPORT: Trump taps vocal anti-illegal immigration advocate for State Dept’s top refugee job
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
President Trump has tapped a fierce critic of illegal immigration for the State Department’s top position overseeing refugees and migration.
The White House announced on Thursday that Ronald Mortensen, a former foreign service officer, has been nominated to serve as assistant secretary of State for Population, Refugees and Migration.
Mortensen, who supported Trump on the campaign trail, is a fellow at the Center for Immigration Studies, a nonprofit group that advocates for significantly reducing immigration in the U.S.
The article goes on to state the following:
If confirmed by the Senate, Mortensen would lead the State Department bureau responsible for providing assistance to some of the world’s most vulnerable populations, including refugees and asylum seekers from Mexico and Central America.
In addition to his fellowship at the Center for Immigration Studies, Mortensen also founded the Utah Coalition on Illegal Immigration, a group that advocates for “concrete action” to address illegal immigration.
In a statement issued at the time of the group’s founding, Mortensen said that the U.S. had a responsibility to admit immigrants who go through the proper legal channels, while blocking those who try to skirt the law.
The Hill noted in their report that Mortensen was also vehemently opposed to former President Barack Obama‘s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.
To weigh in on this information provided by TheHill.com, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
The White House has nominated Ronald Mortensen to a powerful position leading the State Department’s Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration. Mortensen, from the hardline Center for Immigration Studies, will have big sway over refugee policy if confirmed
— John Hudson (@John_Hudson) May 24, 2018
Pro-immigrant advocates are not happy with the news.
Unbelievable. Just heard Ronald Mortensen of Center for Immigration Studies has been nominated to head PRM, State Dept’s refugee resettlement and protection arm. He calls WSJ fake news, says John McCain let ISIS into the country and wants to fine Dreamers 5K for working. SMDH.
— Frank Sharry (@FrankSharry) May 25, 2018
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: New Mexico compound mysteriously destroyed by authorities
- UPDATE: Colorado girls’ bodies were submerged in crude oil for 4 days
- REPORT: ESPN makes announcement about national anthem for NFL games
- VIDEO: Chilling family videos emerge of murdered woman killed by husband
- VIDEO: Toddler recorded in family video praising the father accused of killing her
- REPORT: NYT gives estimate of tapes Omarosa believed to have in stash
- REPORT: Review of emails from DOJ’s Bruce Ohr reveals new details on dossier scandal
- BREAKING: Court deals another blow to Trump delay of an Obama regulation
- REPORT: Parkland shooter: Seven key facts hidden in the school district’s report
- BREAKING: Trump calls Justice official a ‘disgrace,’ vows to revoke clearance (Video)