REPORT: Trump tariffs could cause shortage that hurts Christian evangelism
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by CBSNEWS.COM:
Publishers of religious books are warning that President Donald Trump’s latest proposed tariffs on Chinese imports could result in a Bible shortage in the U.S.
Tens of millions of bibles are printed in China each year, with some estimates as high as 150 million. Publishers large and small testified against the proposed tariff in hearings last month, saying it would make the Bible more expensive for consumers and Christian organizations that give away Bibles as part of their ministry. The proposed tariffs are currently on holdfollowing months of parrying by U.S. and China officials.
The article goes on to state the following:
Bibles are printed on “unusually thin paper” that requires specialized machines, Mark Schoenwald, president of HarperCollins Christian Publishing, said in testimony to the U. S. Trade Representative. Up to 75% of what it costs a publisher to make a Bible, with its complex illustrations and ultra-thin pages that make it portable, is spent in China and can’t be handled elsewhere, according to Schoenwald.
“The tariff would hurt organizations that give away Bibles and also make it difficult for publishers to sell the Bible at a price people can afford,” Jantz said, according to USA Today.
— CBS News (@CBSNews) July 9, 2019
“Critics of a proposed tariff say it would make the Bible more expensive for consumers and hurt the evangelism efforts of Christian organizations that give away Bibles as part of their ministry.” https://t.co/RsZ4qHvCgw
— Eric Fish (@ericfish85) July 9, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit CBSNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Screenwriter Behind ‘The Hate U Give,’ Dies Day Before Film Premiere
- REPORT: AOC makes shocking statement about Mitch McConnell
- REPORT: Trump Administration Makes Decision On Granting Venezuelans Temporary Protection
- BREAKING: Retired Supreme Court Justice dies at age 99
- EXCLUSIVE: Chris Pratt criticized for wearing patriotic flag shirt; here’s how you can take a stand
- REPORT: Trump fires back with blistering tweet at Tillerson over Putin statement
- REPORT: 18-year-old pilot and pageant queen dies in fiery plane crash
- Elementary teacher suspended over sexual orientation talk with students
- REPORT: Mexico makes stunning claim on where funding for migrant caravan came from
- VIDEO: Kevin McCarthy condemns House vote on Trump’s ‘go back’ comments