REPORT: Two Dem senators confirm approval, clearing path for Trump’s CIA nominee confirmation
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
The top Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee, Mark Warner (Va.), on Tuesday announced in a statement that he will support Gina Haspel to lead the CIA, all but ensuring that she has the votes to be confirmed.
“I acknowledge that this has been a difficult decision,” Warner said. “I have been frank with Ms. Haspel that I wish she had been more open with the American public during this process.”
The article goes on to state the following:
“However, in both our one-on-one meetings and in classified session before the Committee, I found Acting Director Haspel to be more forthcoming regarding her views on the interrogation program.”
Warner noted that he also “take[s] to heart the strong support Ms. Haspel has among rank-and-file members of the intelligence community and from intelligence community leaders who served under President Obama.” He said he believes that Haspel “can and will stand up to the President if ordered to do something illegal or immoral—like a return to torture.”
The Hill also reported:
Just minutes after Warner’s announcement, Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.) also announced that she would support Haspel — bringing the total number of Democratic votes in support up to four and appearing to clinch her nomination.
My statement on the nomination of Gina Haspel to be CIA Director: pic.twitter.com/eEgyBXC1tW
— Mark Warner (@MarkWarner) May 15, 2018
— Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (@SenatorHeitkamp) May 15, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by TheHill.com, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting TheHill.com
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: North Korea responds to Trump canceling summit (VIDEO)
- BREAKING: Trump releases letter cancelling North Korea summit
- VIDEO: Trump responds to Comey’s taunt about grandchildren
- VIDEO: Trump’s response to new National Anthem policy sends Dems into orbit
- DML TV: Eerie blue flames in Hawaii raise new fears of explosions
- REPORT: Judge denies top news outlets access to sealed records in Mueller investigation
- VIDEO: Trump wants the ‘whole package’ in an immigration deal
- BREAKING: North Korea declares its nuclear test site closed after a ‘huge explosion’
- REPORT: Judge candidate dies 1 day after primary victory
- POLL: Do you agree with Trump’s decision to pull out of the North Korea meeting?