REPORT: US hits Russian entities with sanctions for targeting underwater internet cables
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by FreeBeacon:
The Treasury Department on Monday announced the imposition of economic sanctions against Russian entities engaged in targeting undersea internet cables and cyber spying inside critical U.S. infrastructures.
The department announced sanctions on five companies and three Russians linked to the Federal Security Service, the main Kremlin intelligence service, known as the FSB, that has been linked to Russian election meddling in 2016.
The article goes on to state the following:
For the first time, Treasury revealed one of the sanctioned companies, Divetechnoservices, has worked with the FSB since 2007 to spy on underwater cables used to connect the internet around the world.
“Russia has been active in tracking undersea communication cables which carry the bulk of the world’s telecommunications data,” the department said in announcing the sanctions.
The Russian underwater equipment company in 2011 was paid $1.5 million by the FSB to procure a submersible craft for underwater cable spying.
Treasury officials declined to comment further on Russian underwater reconnaissance activities.
American defense officials, however, have said Russia has been aggressively probing undersea cables in the Atlantic over the past several years.
The Free Beacon report also stated:
Pentagon intelligence officials said one major target of the Russian underwater reconnaissance is identifying links used by the Department of Defense Information Network, or DoDIN, which uses dedicated military links and leased communications and computer systems.
The underwater surveillance also has been detected in European waters.
The surveillance has raised fears among intelligence and security officials that Moscow is preparing to cut undersea internet cables in a future crisis or conflict to disrupt targeted nations, like the United States or the nations of Europe.
CLICK HERE to view the full, exclusive report, written by Bill Gertz for the Washington Free Beacon.
To weigh in on this information provided by FreeBeacon, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting FreeBeacon
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Rush to judgment? New details emerge on Native American elder’s standoff with MAGA-hat-wearing teens
- VIDEO: Judge Jeanine tears Nancy Pelosi to shreds in blistering monologue, concludes with shocking image
- REPORT: Plane makes emergency landing over poison concerns after passengers start ‘turning green,’ ‘suffocating’
- VIDEO: Liz Cheney: Pelosi ‘Commandeered’ The House On DACA Issue She’s Now Voting Against
- REPORT: Boy’s mother defends son after video of encounter with Native American man
- UPDATE: Thousands sign Catholic high school petition after students harass Native American man
- TRUMP TWEETS Pelosi and economy, DML responds
- REPORT: Jimmy Carter tells Dem Senator: ‘I hope you run for president’
- REPORT: Cardi B and Tomi Lahren get into Twitter fight over government shutdown, Ocasio-Cortez wades in
- REPORT: Longtime Dem to young congress members: ‘stop acting like young people’, Ocasio-Cortez responds