REPORT: US officials give vapor companies 60 days to protect kids or face dire consequences
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by USATODAY.COM:
Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Scott Gottlieb on Wednesday declared youth vaping an “epidemic,” and said the agency will halt sales of flavored electronic cigarettes if the major manufacturers can’t prove they are doing enough to keep them out of the hands of children and teens.
The FDA says it’s giving manufacturers of Juul, Vuse, MarkTen XL, Blu and Logic 60 days to submit “robust” plans to prevent youth vaping. If the agency doesn’t think their plans go far enough, it could order their products off the market. Those five brands make up more than 97 percent of the U.S. market for e-cigarettes, FDA says.
— ABC10 (@ABC10) September 13, 2018
The article goes on to state the following:
The FDA is “reconsidering our overall approach” after a review of preliminary data on youth vaping, Gottlieb told USA TODAY.
“Teenagers are becoming regular users, and the proportion of regular users is increasing,” says Gottlieb, a physician. “We’re going to have to take action.”
“No one can look at the data and say there’s no problem,” he says.
More than 2 million middle school, high school and college students use the battery-powered devices to heat liquid-based nicotine into an inhalable vapor. E-cigarettes are by far the most popular tobacco product among teens: Nearly 12 percent of high school students and 3 percent of middle school students used the device in the past 30 days, according to the 2017 National Youth Tobacco Survey.
The FDA has declared youth vaping an epidemic. Parents, here’s what you need to know about e-cigarettes. https://t.co/xvLmsnP0p1
— IndyStar (@indystar) September 12, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by USATODAY.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Screenwriter Behind ‘The Hate U Give,’ Dies Day Before Film Premiere
- REPORT: AOC makes shocking statement about Mitch McConnell
- REPORT: Trump Administration Makes Decision On Granting Venezuelans Temporary Protection
- BREAKING: Retired Supreme Court Justice dies at age 99
- EXCLUSIVE: Chris Pratt criticized for wearing patriotic flag shirt; here’s how you can take a stand
- REPORT: Trump fires back with blistering tweet at Tillerson over Putin statement
- REPORT: 18-year-old pilot and pageant queen dies in fiery plane crash
- Elementary teacher suspended over sexual orientation talk with students
- REPORT: Mexico makes stunning claim on where funding for migrant caravan came from
- VIDEO: Kevin McCarthy condemns House vote on Trump’s ‘go back’ comments