REPORT: US pastor on trial for alleged terror ties, spying in Turkey
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by HERALDSUN.COM:
An American pastor imprisoned in Turkey is going on trial for alleged terror ties and spying in a case that has increased tensions between Washington and Ankara.
Andrew Craig Brunson, an evangelical pastor from North Carolina, is facing 35 years in prison on charges of “committing crimes on behalf of terror groups without being a member” and “espionage.” The trial begins Monday in western Izmir province.
It is important to note that the article goes on to state the following:
He was arrested in December 2016 for alleged links to both an outlawed Kurdish insurgent group and the network of the U.S.-based Muslim cleric who Turkey blames for a masterminding a failed military coup that year. The cleric, Fethullah Gulen, denies the claim.
American officials have repeatedly requested that Brunson be released. In a meeting last year with his Turkish counterpart, President Donald Trump asked that the government “expeditiously” return the pastor to the U.S. But the appeals have not made much headway.
Turkey has submitted an extradition request to the U.S. for Gulen. According to the report, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan demanded that Brunson’s release would come after the U.S. gives Turkey Gulen, who lives in Pennsylvania.
“You give him to us and we’ll give you this one,” Erdogan said in September, referring to Gulen and Brunson, respectively.
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting HERALDSUN.COM.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: New details emerge on judge who upheld subpoenas on Trump’s bank records
- REPORT: Calif. Senate passes humongous spending plan that would expand benefits to people in U.S. illegally
- BREAKING: Lone Republican blocks House passage of disaster relief bill
- VIDEO: Lindsey Graham predicts Dems’ reaction to declassification of documents on Trump campaign surveillance
- REPORT: House Intelligence enjoys breakthrough with Justice Department
- REPORT: Trump, Pelosi wage Twitter war over ‘stammer’ video
- REPORT: Meteorologist fact-checks Ocasio-Cortez after her bizarre claim about tornado
- REPORT: Suspected illegal immigrant accused of impregnating 11-year-old girl [VIDEO]
- VIDEO: Trump responds to Theresa May’s resignation announcement
- REPORT: Twitter permanently bans two famous Trump antagonists