REPORT: VA secretary asked to reconsider funding banned surgery
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM:
Eighty-two House Democratic congressmen and one Republican have petitioned Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert Wilkie to reverse the agency’s ban on sex reassignment surgery after a two-month public comment period.
In a letter to Wilkie last week, the representatives wrote that “it is unconscionable to deny veterans the same access to health care services that civilians receive in the private sector, and that is available to Medicare beneficiaries and federal workers, simply because of outdated and unscientific prejudice against their gender identity.”
The article goes on to state the following:
Transgender veterans are currently able to get treatment before and after gender reassignment surgery, but the department will not cover the actual procedure. VA officials have discussed covering the surgery since the idea was first proposed in 2016 under former President Barack Obama and then-Defense Secretary Ash Carter who lifted the ban on transgender people openly serving in the military that year.
Rep. Julia Brownley, D-Calif., is leading the effort to have the policy changed. She said in a statement that it was “unacceptable that we would ask our veterans to risk their lives to protect our rights but we would refuse to defend theirs in return.”
We’ve been collecting your comments, and now a bipartisan group of House members has echoed your calls to ensure the VA allows transgender veterans to get the care their own doctors say they need. We thank each and every Congressmember who signed. https://t.co/2QTXMFo34F
— National Center for Transgender Equality (@TransEquality) September 10, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Kellyanne Conway changes Twitter bio after her husband rips on Trump
- EXCLUSIVE: Border Patrol releases ANOTHER video of migrants destroying new wire on fence (VIDEO)
- EXCLUSIVE: White House responds to judge’s ruling on Acosta press pass
- VIDEO: Media quiet about violent clash in Tijuana as Mexicans protest migrant caravan
- BREAKING: Democrat Stacey Abrams Ends Bid For Georgia Governor, Decrying ‘Suppression’
- REPORT: Migrants won’t see armed US soldiers on border
- REPORT: Michael Avenatti is evicted from his law offices in Newport Beach
- REPORT: Woolsey fire destroys movie director’s home, burns entire life savings in ‘fire-proof’ safe (PHOTOS)
- REPORT: Stormy Daniels explodes on Twitter in rant at airline over lost luggage before speech
- REPORT: New Muslim congresswoman flips after election, now supports anti-Israel boycott