REPORT: Woman accused of scamming people out of $11K with fake husband stories
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by FOXNEWS.COM:
A California woman has been accused of lying about having a husband who is a firefighter to receive donations meant to go to crews helping battle the state’s record-breaking wildfires.
Between Aug. 10 and Aug. 17, the Los Angeles Times reported, Ashley Bemis scammed good Samaritans out of $11,000 worth of cash and gift donations — including blankets, baby wipes, socks and food.
The article goes on to state the following:
The 28-year-old wedding planner posted in a since-deleted comment on the San Clemente Facebook page that she was married to a firefighter named Shane Goodman and that he worked for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.
“Shane works for Cal Fire and is out on the Holy Fire right now,” Bemis wrote, according to the Orange County Register. “I also have two other family members and many friends out on this fire and other fires burning here in California. I received a text today from Shane saying it’s pretty much a living hell out there battling the unpredictable ‘Holy Hell Fire.’”
According to the Times, Bemis gave a list of suggested donations consisting of toothbrushes, blankets and other basic necessities and told the Facebook group she would be helping deliver the donated items to the crews fighting the fire.
Detectives say she was running an elaborate con, posing as the wife of a fictitious Cal Fire firefighter on Facebook. She even pretended to be pregnant, using a fake baby bump. https://t.co/6wDQVLgO33
— WATE 6 On Your Side (@6News) September 12, 2018
A woman has been accused of scamming victims of the #HolyFire in Southern California. She allegedly stole $11,000 in donations, claiming to be the wife of a fake Cal Fire firefighter. Her name, and more information, is in the link. https://t.co/aPIOn4kTLn
— Action News Now (@ActionNewsNow) September 11, 2018
Deputies confirmed that she pretended to be pregnant, even using a fake baby bump. https://t.co/mdZQegIPr3
— WISH-TV (@WISH_TV) September 11, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by FOXNEWS.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: Washington ICE detention center attacker wrote ‘manifesto’ before assault [PHOTOS]
- VIDEO: Crowd Boos Julian Castro For Refusing To Hold Baby
- DML LIVE: Shocking report from ICE (Mon – July 15)
- REVEALED: Rashida Tlaib wrote column for Anti-Semitic publication in 2006
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez Responds To Washington ICE Attack
- VIDEO: Mom Catches Kid Falling Off Balcony In Heart-Stopping Surveillance Video
- REPORT: DOJ’s Bruce Ohr kept Mueller deputy ‘in the loop’ about anti-Trump dossier
- BREAKING: Police give update on missing Utah student, announce they have a ‘person of interest’
- EXCLUSIVE: The final Instagram post by murdered pregnant mom Shanann Watts
- NEW: TeamDML launches, feedback we’ve received