REPORT: Woman accused of scamming people out of $11K with fake husband stories
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by FOXNEWS.COM:
A California woman has been accused of lying about having a husband who is a firefighter to receive donations meant to go to crews helping battle the state’s record-breaking wildfires.
Between Aug. 10 and Aug. 17, the Los Angeles Times reported, Ashley Bemis scammed good Samaritans out of $11,000 worth of cash and gift donations — including blankets, baby wipes, socks and food.
The article goes on to state the following:
The 28-year-old wedding planner posted in a since-deleted comment on the San Clemente Facebook page that she was married to a firefighter named Shane Goodman and that he worked for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.
“Shane works for Cal Fire and is out on the Holy Fire right now,” Bemis wrote, according to the Orange County Register. “I also have two other family members and many friends out on this fire and other fires burning here in California. I received a text today from Shane saying it’s pretty much a living hell out there battling the unpredictable ‘Holy Hell Fire.’”
According to the Times, Bemis gave a list of suggested donations consisting of toothbrushes, blankets and other basic necessities and told the Facebook group she would be helping deliver the donated items to the crews fighting the fire.
Detectives say she was running an elaborate con, posing as the wife of a fictitious Cal Fire firefighter on Facebook. She even pretended to be pregnant, using a fake baby bump. https://t.co/6wDQVLgO33
— WATE 6 On Your Side (@6News) September 12, 2018
A woman has been accused of scamming victims of the #HolyFire in Southern California. She allegedly stole $11,000 in donations, claiming to be the wife of a fake Cal Fire firefighter. Her name, and more information, is in the link. https://t.co/aPIOn4kTLn
— Action News Now (@ActionNewsNow) September 11, 2018
Deputies confirmed that she pretended to be pregnant, even using a fake baby bump. https://t.co/mdZQegIPr3
— WISH-TV (@WISH_TV) September 11, 2018
To weigh in on this information provided by FOXNEWS.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting FOXNEWS.COM
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Kellyanne Conway changes Twitter bio after her husband rips on Trump
- EXCLUSIVE: Border Patrol releases ANOTHER video of migrants destroying new wire on fence (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Media quiet about violent clash in Tijuana as Mexicans protest migrant caravan
- REPORT: Migrants won’t see armed US soldiers on border
- BREAKING: Democrat Stacey Abrams Ends Bid For Georgia Governor, Decrying ‘Suppression’
- REPORT: Michael Avenatti is evicted from his law offices in Newport Beach
- REPORT: Woolsey fire destroys movie director’s home, burns entire life savings in ‘fire-proof’ safe (PHOTOS)
- REPORT: Kellyanne Conway changes Twitter bio amid media coverage of her husband
- REPORT: Stormy Daniels explodes on Twitter in rant at airline over lost luggage before speech
- REPORT: New Muslim congresswoman flips after election, now supports anti-Israel boycott