Resource officer at Maryland school took quick action during shooting (VIDEO)
The school shooting in Maryland Tuesday might have been worse if an armed officer had not been stationed at Great Mills High School in St. Mary’s County, Md. That officer reacted quickly, pursuing and engaging the student shooter, according to the St. Mary’s County sheriff.
Reports indicate that Austin Wyatt Rollins, 17, used a semi-automatic handgun at the high school shortly before 8 a.m. on Tuesday, firing in the hallway and wounding a 16-year-old female and a 14-year-old male student.
NBC Washington reports: The shooter and a school resource officer each fired a round, but authorities don’t know if the officer’s bullet killed the suspect, [Sheriff Tim Cameron] said. The officer, whom Cameron identified as Blaine Gaskill, was not hurt.
“When the shooting took place, our school resource officer, who was stationed inside the school, was alerted to the event and the shots being fired. He pursued the shooter and engaged the shooter, during which that engagement he fired a round at the shooter,” Cameron said.
Cameron said the shooter fired a round simultaneously. Cameron said Rollins was armed with a Glock semi-automatic handgun.
“In the days to come, through a detailed investigation, we will be able to determine if our SRO’s round struck the shooter,” Cameron said.
The school was locked down and the incident was contained, according to the school’s website.
Although the motive for the shooting is not yet clear, Cameron said there may have been a prior relationship between the shooter and female student.
Siraj Hashmi with the Washington Examiner noted that while the “whole situation is shocking and traumatizing for any student, teacher, and parent,” Great Mills is “lucky to not have a higher amount of casualties.”
Hashimi opined: Having a trained resource officer contain the threat almost immediately after it started saved countless lives at the school.
— Blue Lives Matter (@bluelivesmtr) March 20, 2018
— Breaking911 (@Breaking911) March 20, 2018
Trending on DML News
- Mexico helicopter crash kills more than a dozen day after earthquake (pictures)
- DML TV
- BREAKING: President Trump is removing US Secret Service director
- VIDEO: State of the Union attendees sing ‘Happy Birthday’ to survivor of Holocaust, 2018 synagogue shooting
- REPORT: Pelosi announces next move on Mueller report: ‘Congress will not be silent’
- BREAKING: US intelligence accuses China of using student spies to steal secrets
- REPORT: Activist Actress: “I do not have equal rights… because I have a vagina”
- SHARE VIDEO: DML warns President Trump of another hidden cost of illegal immigration
- VIDEO: Colbert hits Trump after Mueller report over ‘I’m f***d’ statement
- Dan Bongino blasts out explosive Twitter Storm on FISA Abuse memo