Resource officer at Maryland school took quick action during shooting (VIDEO)
The school shooting in Maryland Tuesday might have been worse if an armed officer had not been stationed at Great Mills High School in St. Mary’s County, Md. That officer reacted quickly, pursuing and engaging the student shooter, according to the St. Mary’s County sheriff.
Reports indicate that Austin Wyatt Rollins, 17, used a semi-automatic handgun at the high school shortly before 8 a.m. on Tuesday, firing in the hallway and wounding a 16-year-old female and a 14-year-old male student.
NBC Washington reports: The shooter and a school resource officer each fired a round, but authorities don’t know if the officer’s bullet killed the suspect, [Sheriff Tim Cameron] said. The officer, whom Cameron identified as Blaine Gaskill, was not hurt.
“When the shooting took place, our school resource officer, who was stationed inside the school, was alerted to the event and the shots being fired. He pursued the shooter and engaged the shooter, during which that engagement he fired a round at the shooter,” Cameron said.
Cameron said the shooter fired a round simultaneously. Cameron said Rollins was armed with a Glock semi-automatic handgun.
“In the days to come, through a detailed investigation, we will be able to determine if our SRO’s round struck the shooter,” Cameron said.
The school was locked down and the incident was contained, according to the school’s website.
Although the motive for the shooting is not yet clear, Cameron said there may have been a prior relationship between the shooter and female student.
Siraj Hashmi with the Washington Examiner noted that while the “whole situation is shocking and traumatizing for any student, teacher, and parent,” Great Mills is “lucky to not have a higher amount of casualties.”
Hashimi opined: Having a trained resource officer contain the threat almost immediately after it started saved countless lives at the school.
— Blue Lives Matter (@bluelivesmtr) March 20, 2018
— Breaking911 (@Breaking911) March 20, 2018
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: GOP Sen. will back resolution to block Trump’s emergency declaration
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez goes on tear defending role in Amazon’s New York exit, Twitter users blast her
- OpEd: The family secret Bruce Ohr told Rod Rosenstein about Russia case
- REPORT: Tlaib rages against event in Detroit as ‘racist bulls—‘
- BREAKING: President Trump announces nominee to replace Rod Rosenstein as Deputy AG
- REPORT: ‘Never Trump’ leader says final blow to movement may be far-left move by Democrats
- REPORT: Prosecutor recuses herself from Jussie Smollett investigation
- BREAKING: Pompeo issues statement on Alabama woman who joined ISIS, denies her claim
- REPORT: Trump administration says its taking money back from California over dead-end rail project
- VIDEO: Survey reveals Michelle Obama’s placement in 2020 race, if she runs