Serena Williams shares first photos of baby after extended stint in hospital: “We had a lot of complications”
Serena Williams broke a lengthy silence on social media Wednesday morning to share a video of her newborn baby girl, as well as a video documenting her entire pregnancy.
Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr., named after her father, weighed in at 6 lbs. 14 ozs. and was finally able to leave the hospital after an extended six-day stay due to complications.
“Look what we got! A baby girl!” says Williams at the end of the video.
Beyond specifying the length of the extended stay, Williams provided no other details on complications with the childbirth.
The athletic star posted an adorable photo of little Alexis resting on her shoulder, with the caption: “Meet Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr. You have to check out link in bio for her amazing journey. Also check out my IG stories.”
In an interview with Vogue that ran in September, Williams recounted the humorous story in which she guessed her baby’s gender just two weeks after finding out she was pregnant.
“Alexis thinks we’re having a boy, but I have a strong suspicion that it’s a girl,” she said.
“Two weeks after we found out, I played the Australian Open. I told Alexis it has to be a girl because there I was, playing in 100-degree weather, and that baby never gave me any trouble. Ride or die, women are tough that way.”
In the same interview, Williams admitted to being nervous about childbirth.
“I’m not a spring chicken. The one thing I really want is an epidural, which I know a lot of people are against. But I’ve had surgeries galore, and I don’t need to experience any more pain if I can avoid it,” said Serena.
“But the biggest thing is that I don’t really think I’m a baby person … not yet. That’s something I have to work on. I’m so used to me-me-me, taking care of my health, my body, my career. I always ask, ‘Am I going to be good enough?'”
She admits it’s crazy that she plans to return to tennis a mere three months after giving birth.
“It’s the most outrageous plan,” said Williams.
“I just want to put that out there. That’s, like, three months after I give birth. I’m not walking anything back, but I’m just saying it’s pretty intense.”
But she isn’t ready to give up her first true passion, which can happen before you know it in sports.
“In this game, you can go dark fast. If I lose, and I lose again, it’s like, ‘She’s done!’ Especially since I’m not 20 years old,” the new mom said.
“I’ll tell you this much: I won’t win less. Either I win, or I don’t play.”
Trending on DML News
- Hillary responds to calls for Bill Clinton’s sexual misconduct be revisited (audio)
- POLL: Do you believe in God?
- WWII Vet begs for help as he dies, but nurses don’t help… instead they laugh (hidden camera video)
- Michael Moore goes viral with “Impeach Trump” — DML calls Moore despicable (video)
- 5 Big stories about celebrities trending Saturday
- 5 Big stories about Trump trending Saturday night
- POLL: Do you believe the women who accuse Bill Clinton of rape?
- Woman converts to Muslim only to be killed by her Islamic husband because of her clothing
- DML: Obama tree removed; Omaha steaks make it better (photos)
- Gone Viral: Country singer releases new song mocking NFL kneelers (video)