Soros defends himself from ‘toxic criticism’ over anti-Brexit donation
Billionaire investor and liberal political activist George Soros is defending himself against “toxic, personal criticism” for donating hundreds of thousands of pounds to a campaign to stop the United Kingdom from leaving the European Union.
Soros was lambasted following the revelation that, through one of his foundations, he made a donation of £400,000 ($550,000) to the Best for Britain campaign, an organization which opposes Brexit, CNBC reported.
In response to accusations that he was “undermining democracy,” Soros wrote in the Daily Mail on Sunday, “I consider Brexit a tragic mistake. Brexit is a lose-lose proposition both for Britain and for Europe. Politically, Europe without Britain will be weakened in its ability to defend and promote democratic values.”
“To make matters worse, the divorce process will preoccupy both Britain and Europe for years ahead, when they should be uniting to resist external enemies like Putin’s Russia and resolve the internal contradictions that made some people regard the EU as their enemy,” wrote Soros.
According to the Daily Telegraph, Soros and two other major donors are supporting a nationwide advertising campaign in the U.K. scheduled to launch later this month. The initiative is aimed at pushing the country to hold another referendum on Brexit and potentially keep Britain in the EU.
In 2017, Hungarian-born Soros suggested that the U.K.might not leave the EU if the bloc was successful in reforming itself while Brexit negotiations were taking place.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- OpEd: Venezuelan who fled socialism publishes alarming warning on Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘Green New Deal’
- UPDATE: Ocasio-Cortez responds to ‘wack’ Times Square billboard
- SURPRISE? Dem. 2020 candidate breaks from the pack: ‘We can’t have open borders, we need to have border security’
- VIDEO: Hundreds of caravan migrants headed to US violently attack police in southern Mexico
- REPORT: Kamala Harris releases statement on Jussie Smollett scandal
- REPORT: State senate passes bill to keep Trump off 2020 ballot unless he releases tax returns
- VIDEO: Roseanne Barr releases video blasting Ocasio-Cortez and socialism
- VIDEO: CNN’s Don Lemon on Smollett: ‘Not His Fault’
- REPORT: Michigan mother fatally shot 3 young daughters in woods before killing self
- BREAKING: MUST SEE – BOMBSHELL details revealed in press conference on Jussie Smollett’s hoax attack, plus revelations on homophobic letter