Soros defends himself from ‘toxic criticism’ over anti-Brexit donation
Billionaire investor and liberal political activist George Soros is defending himself against “toxic, personal criticism” for donating hundreds of thousands of pounds to a campaign to stop the United Kingdom from leaving the European Union.
Soros was lambasted following the revelation that, through one of his foundations, he made a donation of £400,000 ($550,000) to the Best for Britain campaign, an organization which opposes Brexit, CNBC reported.
In response to accusations that he was “undermining democracy,” Soros wrote in the Daily Mail on Sunday, “I consider Brexit a tragic mistake. Brexit is a lose-lose proposition both for Britain and for Europe. Politically, Europe without Britain will be weakened in its ability to defend and promote democratic values.”
“To make matters worse, the divorce process will preoccupy both Britain and Europe for years ahead, when they should be uniting to resist external enemies like Putin’s Russia and resolve the internal contradictions that made some people regard the EU as their enemy,” wrote Soros.
According to the Daily Telegraph, Soros and two other major donors are supporting a nationwide advertising campaign in the U.K. scheduled to launch later this month. The initiative is aimed at pushing the country to hold another referendum on Brexit and potentially keep Britain in the EU.
In 2017, Hungarian-born Soros suggested that the U.K.might not leave the EU if the bloc was successful in reforming itself while Brexit negotiations were taking place.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- EXCLUSIVE: Hondurans caravan members carry their flag, burn US flag with swastika painted on it (PHOTO)
- BREAKING: Mexican newspaper provides shocking new estimate of migrant caravan numbers
- POLL: Do you believe the migrant caravan will actually be turned away at the U.S. border?
- VIDEO: Univision anchor makes claim about caravan migrants
- VIDEO: Kim Kardashian sticks up for Kanye’s support of Trump on Alec Baldwin show
- BREAKING: Retired Supreme Court Justice sends letter, has ‘beginning stages of dementia’
- REPORT: Caravan migrants becoming sick due to severe conditions (Photos, Videos)
- REPORT: Restaurant where McConnell accosted releases statement
- VIDEO: Obama comments on improving economy
- REPORT: Kanye West pays debt for Chicago mayor candidate