Soros defends himself from ‘toxic criticism’ over anti-Brexit donation
Billionaire investor and liberal political activist George Soros is defending himself against “toxic, personal criticism” for donating hundreds of thousands of pounds to a campaign to stop the United Kingdom from leaving the European Union.
Soros was lambasted following the revelation that, through one of his foundations, he made a donation of £400,000 ($550,000) to the Best for Britain campaign, an organization which opposes Brexit, CNBC reported.
In response to accusations that he was “undermining democracy,” Soros wrote in the Daily Mail on Sunday, “I consider Brexit a tragic mistake. Brexit is a lose-lose proposition both for Britain and for Europe. Politically, Europe without Britain will be weakened in its ability to defend and promote democratic values.”
“To make matters worse, the divorce process will preoccupy both Britain and Europe for years ahead, when they should be uniting to resist external enemies like Putin’s Russia and resolve the internal contradictions that made some people regard the EU as their enemy,” wrote Soros.
According to the Daily Telegraph, Soros and two other major donors are supporting a nationwide advertising campaign in the U.K. scheduled to launch later this month. The initiative is aimed at pushing the country to hold another referendum on Brexit and potentially keep Britain in the EU.
In 2017, Hungarian-born Soros suggested that the U.K.might not leave the EU if the bloc was successful in reforming itself while Brexit negotiations were taking place.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: CDC warns massive measles outbreak has hit 21 states
- REPORT: Husband confesses to killing pregnant wife, 2 daughters
- BREAKING: Trump revokes security clearance of former Obama administration CIA director (video)
- VIDEO: Dem Set to Become First Muslim Woman in Congress Pledges to ‘Absolutely’ Vote Against Aid to Israel
- REPORT: Jimmy Kimmel recalls stunning incident with Omarosa
- REPORT: Pregnant mom and her 2 daughters missing, may be endangered
- REPORT: Ex-CIA Director John Brennan fires back after White House revokes his security clearance (VIDEO)
- REPORT: Philadelphia mom who paid $25k for prom send off is charged with defrauding US government
- REPORT: Former ‘Apprentice’ Troy McClain responds to allegations that he played ‘N-word’ tape for Omarosa
- POLL: Do you agree with Trump’s crackdown on security clearances?