Trump accuser’s lawyer: Offers pouring in to pay penalty to break silence (video)
In an interview with CNN’s Michael Smerconish on Saturday, the lawyer for adult film star Stormy Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, claimed at least ten people – in the last three days – have offered to cover the $1 million fine if Daniels will go ahead and tell her story.
According to reports, Michael Cohen, who is Trump’s personal lawyer, paid Daniels $130,000 to keep quiet about an alleged affair, which she claims occurred 12 years ago. If she breaks her silence, a $1 million penalty will reportedly apply for every interview she gives about her story.
Daniels’ lawyer, Michael Avenatti, claims the penalty is no problem – it’s covered.
The Washington Examiner reported on the interview:
“Has anyone offered to pony up the million dollars to protect her and say, ‘Here, I’m good for it, go tell your story’?” Smerconish asked.
Avenatti replied: “At least ten individuals in the last three days alone.”
The lawyer argued that no court in California would ever enforce the $1 million penalty. “Michael, you know based on your experience, that term, even if everyone agreed to it, it is so unconscionable,” Avenatti said.
The CNN anchor challenged Avenatti on that point, asking why, if the penalty didn’t exist, has Clifford not spoken out on in an interview and “tell whatever the story is that she is dying to tell.”
The lawyer hinted that might happen soon but provided no further context.
Watch the interview below:
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: Hillary Clinton issues statement about comments she made about Trump voters
- Cirque du Soleil performer dies in fall at Tampa show (video)
- VIDEO: Jailhouse video shows deputies watching and laughing as inmate dies
- Trump Tweets: Hannity and the Witch Hunt!
- Sen. Graham calls for Senate hearing on McCabe firing and makes ominous prediction (video)
- Trey Gowdy warns Trump not to fire Mueller (video)
- Comey’s book, not even out yet, hits major milestone
- REPORT: Facebook’s lack of leadership could sink the company
- POLL: Do you accept Hillary’s explanation for making comments about Trump voters
- BREAKING: Woman killed by self-driving Uber car (video)