Trump budget endorses Obamacare repeal plan
An endorsement of an Obamacare repeal plan was included in President Donald J. Trump’s budget plan, which was released Monday. The budget pushes a repeal and replace bill backed by Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Bill Cassidy (R-La.), which gives states funding and makes cuts to Medicaid.
The Washington Examiner reports: The budget called for the bill to be enacted “as soon as possible,” even though Republican Senate leaders have been skeptical of taking up Obamacare again this year after failing last year to repeal it.
“The president is committed to rescuing states, consumers and taxpayers form the failures of Obamacare, and supporting states as they transition to more sustainable healthcare programs that provide appropriate choices for their citizens,” the budget said.
Sens. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., and Bill Cassidy, R-La., are behind the legislation that takes Obamacare’s funding for the Medicaid expansion and tax subsidies for lower premiums and gives it to states through block grants. The senators introduced the bill in September along with Sens. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., and Dean Heller, R-Nev.
The bill would end the Medicaid expansion under Obamacare but supporters say states can implement it individually if they want. However, the bill makes cuts to Medicaid overall by capping federal funding per beneficiary.
The Graham/Cassidy bill did not have enough support in Congress to pass in September, amid concerns about Medicaid cuts and protecting people with pre-existing conditions.
For more on this story, click the "read more" button below.
Trending on DML News
- Florida lawmaker’s aide fired after claiming Florida shooting survivors are actors
- Florida student speak out: I’m not a crisis actor (video)
- Pelosi proposes SHOCKING alternative to border wall (video)
- Prominent attorney charged for sexually abusing dog (video)
- Reader sends screenshot of Facebook’s new censorship ploy (picture)
- Mueller files additional charges against Manafort, Gates
- Twin newborn infants found dead in suitcase
- REPORT: Retired sanitation worker makes $285K a year from pension
- Trump accuser makes ominous threat (video)
- UPDATE: 7th grader who shot himself at school had alarming items in backpack