Trump Tweet: Denies using language the media reported
President Trump sent out a statement on Twitter Friday morning, denying that he used the specific language that was reported, in the Oval Office meeting with about a dozen senators Thursday afternoon.
A group of six left-leaning senators had brought Trump a proposal for DACA and immigration reform that did not meet his requirements. Several other conservative lawmakers were reportedly in the room as witnesses as well. An unknown source from the meeting alerted the media to Trump’s explosive response, claiming he made derogatory remarks about immigrants from Haiti, El Salvador and Africa.
“Why are we having all these people from s**thole countries come here?” Trump reportedly stated, then added, “Why do we need more Haitians? Take them out.”
In his Twitter post Friday morning, Trump indicated he had been misquoted, and made the following statement:
“Never said anything derogatory about Haitians other than Haiti is, obviously, a very poor and troubled country. Never said “take them out.” Made up by Dems. I have a wonderful relationship with Haitians. Probably should record future meetings – unfortunately, no trust!”
Never said anything derogatory about Haitians other than Haiti is, obviously, a very poor and troubled country. Never said “take them out.” Made up by Dems. I have a wonderful relationship with Haitians. Probably should record future meetings – unfortunately, no trust!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 12, 2018
In an interview with Fox News Friday morning, former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee noted that since there were so many witnesses in the room, one of them should come forward if the media had truly misquoted the president.
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: Amazon announces list of 20 cities as finalists for 2nd headquarters
- POLL: Do you approve of Trump issuing the ‘fake news’ awards?
- Portion of California declares it’s independence from state (video)
- NYC residents outraged over De Blasio’s choice of location for homeless shelter (photos)
- Woman assaulted at nightclub goes to hospital and makes horrifying discovery (video)
- Somalian Muslim immigrant cop arrested at concert (video)
- U.S. removes Haiti from low-skilled work visa list
- House Intel Committee releases full transcript of Fusion GPS testimony
- Memo on FISA abuses outrages GOP lawmakers, demand it be released to public (Video)
- Timberlake includes Trump in controversial music video (video)