U.K. responds to diplomatic status request from WikiLeaks founder
Still holed up in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London since 2012, Wikileaks founder Julian Assange was denied a request from the Ecuadorian government to provide him diplomatic status by the United Kingdom.
“The government of Ecuador recently requested diplomatic status for Mr Assange here in the UK,” a Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokesperson said, according to the Guardian.” The UK did not grant that request, nor are we in talks with Ecuador on this matter. Ecuador knows that the way to resolve this issue is for Julian Assange to leave the embassy to face justice.”
Assange faces certain arrest for violating bail conditions if he leaves the embassy. Recent reports suggest that Assange has become a citizen of Ecuador, according to the Washington Examiner.
WikiLeaks has expressed concern that if he leaves the embassy, the U.S. will seek Assange’s extradition amid talks that there could be a sealed indictment demanding he be arrested. In April of 2017, the Washington Post reported that the Justice Department was considering charges against Assange and WikiLeaks.
WikiLeaks’ latest move was to publicly leak the entire contents of Michael Wolff’s new 327-page book, “Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House,” through a link on Twitter on Sunday. The link has since been taken down, but millions of people were able to access the book for free for several hours.
Previously, WikiLeaks made public stolen emails from Democratic officials during the 2016 campaign as well as details on CIA hacking tools.
A U.S. intelligence community assessment determined last January that WikiLeaks was a cover for a Russian intelligence operation, according to the report.
Trending on DML News
- BREAKING: Amazon announces list of 20 cities as finalists for 2nd headquarters
- POLL: Do you approve of Trump issuing the ‘fake news’ awards?
- Portion of California declares it’s independence from state (video)
- NYC residents outraged over De Blasio’s choice of location for homeless shelter (photos)
- Woman assaulted at nightclub goes to hospital and makes horrifying discovery (video)
- Somalian Muslim immigrant cop arrested at concert (video)
- U.S. removes Haiti from low-skilled work visa list
- House Intel Committee releases full transcript of Fusion GPS testimony
- Memo on FISA abuses outrages GOP lawmakers, demand it be released to public (Video)
- Timberlake includes Trump in controversial music video (video)