U.K. responds to diplomatic status request from WikiLeaks founder
Still holed up in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London since 2012, Wikileaks founder Julian Assange was denied a request from the Ecuadorian government to provide him diplomatic status by the United Kingdom.
“The government of Ecuador recently requested diplomatic status for Mr Assange here in the UK,” a Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokesperson said, according to the Guardian.” The UK did not grant that request, nor are we in talks with Ecuador on this matter. Ecuador knows that the way to resolve this issue is for Julian Assange to leave the embassy to face justice.”
Assange faces certain arrest for violating bail conditions if he leaves the embassy. Recent reports suggest that Assange has become a citizen of Ecuador, according to the Washington Examiner.
WikiLeaks has expressed concern that if he leaves the embassy, the U.S. will seek Assange’s extradition amid talks that there could be a sealed indictment demanding he be arrested. In April of 2017, the Washington Post reported that the Justice Department was considering charges against Assange and WikiLeaks.
WikiLeaks’ latest move was to publicly leak the entire contents of Michael Wolff’s new 327-page book, “Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House,” through a link on Twitter on Sunday. The link has since been taken down, but millions of people were able to access the book for free for several hours.
Previously, WikiLeaks made public stolen emails from Democratic officials during the 2016 campaign as well as details on CIA hacking tools.
A U.S. intelligence community assessment determined last January that WikiLeaks was a cover for a Russian intelligence operation, according to the report.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Roseanne Barr’s fate on ‘The Conners’ revealed in season premiere
- BREAKING: Nevada brothel owner and GOP candidate found DEAD
- VIDEO: Hillary Clinton’s Van Crashes Upon Arrival at Dem Fundraiser, GOP adds background music
- DML offers Trump $50k to favorite charity in exchange for a White House interview
- REPORT: Clinton launches Twitter storm against Trump, begs Dem voters to do something
- REPORT: Avenatti and Stormy Daniels tear into Trump for calling her ‘Horseface’
- REPORT: Kellyanne Conway’s husband pounces on Trump tweet with response
- EXCLUSIVE: Urgency increases in project pressuring Trump on mandatory E-Verify
- REPORT: Obituary for mom who died of drug overdose goes viral
- REPORT: Why dozens of black senior citizens were ordered off a bus taking them to vote (Photos, Video)