UPDATE: Newsweek punishes editor over botched Trump-Thanksgiving story
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by FOXNEWS.COM:
Last week, Newsweek published a report claiming Trump’s plans for the holiday included tweeting and golfing. However, on Thanksgiving Day Trump made a surprise visit to Afghanistan, his first as president. According to White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham, only some White House officials knew about the trip, which was kept secret for security reasons.
The article goes on to state the following:
On Saturday, it was reported that Jessica Kwong, the Newsweek political reporter who wrote the original story, was fired.
On Saturday, Kwong told the Washington Examiner that her editor had assigned the piece over a week in advance and that it was filed on Wednesday.
The next day, when the president’s trip to Afghanistan was announced, Kowng says the same editor didn’t update Kwong’s original piece in a timely manner.
“Newsweek investigated the failures that led to the publication of the inaccurate report that President Trump spent Thanksgiving tweeting and golfing rather than visiting troops in Afghanistan,” Newsweek told iMediaEthics, according to Fox News.
“The story has been corrected, the reporter responsible was terminated and the editor was demoted,” Newsweek reportedly said. “We will continue to review our processes and, if required, take further action.”
Newsweek demoted the editor who published & failed to update an inaccurate story about Trump’s Thanksgiving Day plans.https://t.co/d9avf8HGk6
— Washington Examiner (@dcexaminer) December 2, 2019
“The editor was demoted.”@Newsweek demoted an editor who was involved with an erroneous story that claimed President Trump was “tweeting” and “golfing” on #Thanksgiving when he was actually in #Afghanistan visiting US troops. https://t.co/ENcl7Bhz2A
— The Epoch Times (@EpochTimes) December 2, 2019
The reporter’s story was published hours Thanksgiving morning, hours before we learned Trump actually went to Afghanistan. The reporter contends that the editor never updated her story with the Afghanistan news. The reporter has been fired by Newsweek. https://t.co/zz2BPsXXdW
— Rebecca Shabad (@RebeccaShabad) December 2, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit FOXNEWS.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Video captures horrifying moment of deadly New Zealand volcano eruption, Americans among tourists trapped on island
- REPORT: Social Security announces Cost of Living increase for 2020
- VIDEO: ‘I Shouldn’t Have Done It’: Elizabeth Warren Apologizes When Confronted About Native American Claims
- REPORT: Biden: ‘Nobody warned me’ about Hunter and Ukraine because Beau was dying
- VIDEO: ‘They’re irrelevant’: Nadler defends not calling Republican witnesses for impeachment
- VIDEO: Graham: We Will End Impeachment Trial ‘As Quickly As Possible’
- VIDEO: Protestor interrupts impeachment hearing, screams at Nadler, hauled out of room
- VIDEO: ‘It’s Going To Be An Exposé And A Cover-Up’: Tom Fitton Gives His IG Report Predictions
- BREAKING: Chilling new details revealed about Saudi students’ actions before Florida naval base attack [VIDEO]
- REPORT: New Muslim congresswoman flips after election, now supports anti-Israel boycott