UPDATE: Officials give update on cause of Manhattan power outage
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by NBCNews.com:
Power was restored to the heart of New York City after a major outage Saturday impacted an estimated 72,000 customers, mostly in Manhattan’s midtown and Upper West Side.
The article goes on to state the following:
Con Edison said it completed power restoration to all customers on the West Side of Manhattan shortly before midnight and the last of six electrical networks was back in service.
“After ‘analyzing the large volumes of data,’ the utility said it had ‘identified the issues with the relay protection system,” according to report by The Wall Street Journal.
“Based on our experience with the transmission and distribution system, we initially believed the 13,000-volt cable fault was unrelated to the transmission disturbance,” said Con Edison in a statement. “While the cable fault was an initiating event, the customer outages were the result of the failure of the protective relay systems.”
“The declaration came after New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo attacked the utility for its handling of Saturday’s blackout,” The Wall Street Journal reported. “The governor said the outage, which took five hours to fully fix, endangered New Yorkers. ‘This is Russian roulette, you know? People can die,’ he said in a radio interview on WNYC-FM.”
JUST IN from @ConEdison some initial cause of the #NYCblackout
Basically a 13,000 volt line faulted and its substation failed to contain the power surge as designed, immediately expanding the outage from one substation to six pic.twitter.com/2UCyKcsOGv
— Henry Rosoff (@HenryRosoff) July 15, 2019
NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio rules out terrorism and cyber attack as causes of power outage. The mayor of New York City addressed Saturday’s blackout in Manhattan during a Sunday press conference, saying that investigators are still looking into the exact cause pic.twitter.com/M0XMObgBEw
— Sherman (@Shermanbot) July 15, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit NBCNews.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- VIDEO: Video captures horrifying moment of deadly New Zealand volcano eruption, Americans among tourists trapped on island
- REPORT: Social Security announces Cost of Living increase for 2020
- VIDEO: ‘I Shouldn’t Have Done It’: Elizabeth Warren Apologizes When Confronted About Native American Claims
- REPORT: Biden: ‘Nobody warned me’ about Hunter and Ukraine because Beau was dying
- VIDEO: Witness makes admission about Ukranian phone call, Schiff jumps in to halt Nunes’s questioning
- VIDEO: Graham: We Will End Impeachment Trial ‘As Quickly As Possible’
- VIDEO: Protestor interrupts impeachment hearing, screams at Nadler, hauled out of room
- VIDEO: ‘They’re irrelevant’: Nadler defends not calling Republican witnesses for impeachment
- BREAKING: Chilling new details revealed about Saudi students’ actions before Florida naval base attack [VIDEO]
- REPORT: New Muslim congresswoman flips after election, now supports anti-Israel boycott