UPDATE: Rashida Tlaib says ‘They forgot what country they represent’ tweet referred to senators, not Jews
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by WASHINGTONTIMES.COM:
After her obscenity-laced tirade at President Trump, Rep. Rashida Tlaib has touched off another uproar, this time over anti-Semitism.
The Michigan Democrat, one of the two first Muslim women to serve in Congress, said Monday that she was referring to U.S. senators, not Jews, when she tweeted, “They forgot what country they represent.”
The article goes on to state the following:
She was widely condemned for the language, which critics described as a common anti-Semitic trope, in her tweet against GOP-sponsored Middle East legislation that included protections for state and localities that sever ties with companies boycotting Israel.
“They forgot what country they represent,” tweeted Ms. Tlaib on Sunday. “This is the U.S. where boycotting is a right & part of our historical fight for freedom & equality. Maybe a refresher on our U.S. Constitution is in order, then get back to opening up our government instead of taking our rights away.”
Her comment met with a fierce backlash from Israel supporters, led by Sen. Marco Rubio, Florida Republican, who accused her of perpetuating anti-Semitic stereotypes about the “dual loyalty” of American Jews to the United States and Israel.
Intentional or not, this could be interpreted as offensively insinuating dual loyalty – a trope with a long & troubling history. It’s possible to engage in the democratic process w/o claiming the other side is disloyal. We asked @RashidaTlaib to clarify: https://t.co/KzpN84THYj https://t.co/HLsfm3b7WV
— Jonathan Greenblatt (@JGreenblattADL) January 7, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit WASHINGTONTIMES.COM. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Facebook has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the distribution of DML NEWS posts, and instead fills newsfeeds with news from the mainstream media. The way to fight back is by sharing our posts with your family and friends. Please take a moment now and click the share button. SHARE NOW
DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting WASHINGTONTIMES.COM
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: White House explains bandage on Trump’s hand, Twitter goes wild (PHOTOS)
- BREAKING: Pelosi sends letter to Trump on his State of the Union address
- VIDEO: Clemson Tigers get ANOTHER meal invite after Trump’s fast-food meal
- REPORT: Kremlin responds to theory of Trump being a ‘Russian agent’
- VIDEO: Border ranchers share alarm about prayer rugs found on their property
- REPORT: Clemson quarterback says White House quote is fake
- REPORT: Rashida Tlaib lambasts ‘right wing media’ over coverage of picture with pro-Hezbollah activist
- REPORT: Ocasio-Cortez, freshmen Dems attempt to hand deliver request to McConnell (pictures)
- REPORT: House passes relief bill to fund government, six Republicans vote with Dems
- REPORT: NBCUniversal Chief makes admission on Megyn Kelly