UPDATE: Saudi woman fleeing her family granted refugee status by UN
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TheHill.com:
An 18-year-old woman fleeing Saudi Arabia has been recognized as a refugee by the United Nations after she hid inside a hotel room in Thailand to prevent her forcible return.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) assessed Rahaf al-Qunun’s claims and referred her to Australia for possible resettlement, The Guardian reported Wednesday.
The article goes on to state the following:
Qunun made headlines over the weekend after she barricaded herself inside a hotel room near the Bangkok airport to prevent being placed on a return flight to Saudi Arabia. She claims that she is fleeing her abusive family who have threatened to kill her since she renounced Islam.
For all countries that can help , we ask for urgent protection , only you can save my life.#saverahaf
— Rahaf Mohammed رهف محمد (@rahaf84427714) January 8, 2019
Don’t let anyone break your wings, you’re free. fight and get your RIGHTS!
— Rahaf Mohammed رهف محمد (@rahaf84427714) January 9, 2019
— Sophie McNeill (@Sophiemcneill) January 7, 2019
Video from @rahaf84427714 just sent from her hotel room at the #Bangkok airport. She has barricaded herself in the room & says she will not leave until she is able to see #UNHCR. Why is #Thailand not letting @Refugees see her for refugee status determination? @hrw #SaveRahaf pic.twitter.com/3lb2NDRsVG
— Phil Robertson (@Reaproy) January 7, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit TheHill.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- REPORT: Rep. Gaetz makes rare move to join Dem on amendment to block Trump on Iran
- BREAKING: Minnesota Lawmaker Calls For Ethics Investigation Into Rep. Ilhan Omar [VIDEO]
- UPDATE: David Ortiz shooting: Authorities reveal plot to kill ‘Big Papi’, 6 detained
- REPORT: DNA tests reveal shocking percentage of suspected fraudulent migrant families were unrelated
- VIDEO: Trump presents Medal of Honor to Staff Sergeant David Bellavia
- REPORT: Tear Gas And Cages: What Immigration Enforcement Looked Like Under Vice President Joe Biden (PICTURES)
- BREAKING: Podium placement for first Democratic debate revealed
- REPORT: Gillibrand announces progress toward securing 9/11 victim benefits
- REPORT: Young female cop shot and killed just 2 weeks after being sworn in
- Text messages discredit anti-gun march organizer’s alleged statement claiming Hunter Pollack was invited to speak at march