UPDATE: Video: Officials drop bombshell in David Ortiz shooting with mistake twist to the murder plot
As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by NBCNews.com:
Former Red Sox star David Ortiz was not the intended target of a murder plot and was accidentally shot in the Dominican Republic, officials said Wednesday.
The article goes on to state the following:
The bullet that struck Ortiz in the back at the Dial Bar and Lounge on June 9 in the eastern part of Santa Domingo last week was meant for Sixto David Fernandez, in what authorities have described as a murder-for-hire plot. Fernandez, a friend of Ortiz’s who frequents the bar, was sharing a table with the baseball star at the time.
Jean Alain Rodríguez, the country’s attorney general, said Wednesday he personally interviewed Ortiz. The baseball icon, known as “Big Papi,” told Rodríguez he had no idea who would want him dead.
Police believe fugitive Victor Hugo Gómez Vasquez, believed to belong to the Cartel Del Golfo, ordered the hit, but they still don’t know why Fernandez was targeted.
NEW: Former Red Sox star David Ortiz was not the intended target of a shooting that left him seriously wounded, officials in the Dominican Republic said Wednesday.
— CBS Evening News (@CBSEveningNews) June 19, 2019
— Complex (@Complex) June 19, 2019
BREAKING: MLB star David Ortiz was not the intended target of a murder plot in the Dominican Republic, officials assert. https://t.co/r0GchB4NV5
— NBC News (@NBCNews) June 19, 2019
Per Dominican authorities, the shooter was told the target was wearing white pants, causing the gunman to mistakenly shoot Ortiz. https://t.co/lMqNxx5XEC
— Morgan Chesky (@BreakingChesky) June 19, 2019
To get more information about this article, please visit NBCNews.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.
Trending on DML News
- Obama ‘spreading lie’ about school gun violence
- EXCLUSIVE — TEAM DML: New merchandise available now
- REPORT: Michelle Obama on Presidency: ‘If a Black Guy Can Do It, Anybody Can’
- REPORT: Obama’s Pro-Iran Echo Chamber Finds New Ally in Republican Senator
- REPORT: ‘Bachelor’ star pleads guilty to reduced charge in fatal accident
- VIDEO: Biden blames Trump for 7-year-old’s ‘racist’ question
- REPORT: ‘Underage’ Migrant Sentenced for Murder of Teenager
- VIDEO: Detective describes disturbing evidence he gave Feds on Epstein
- BREAKING: Teen found wandering in Kentucky says he’s the boy who vanished almost 8 years ago
- One NFL team makes up half of the players still protesting, kneeling