UPDATE: Video: Officials drop bombshell in David Ortiz shooting with mistake twist to the murder plot

JUNE 19, 2019

Below is a report that DML News gives a 4 OUT OF 4 STARS trustworthiness rating. We base this rating on the following criteria:

  • Provides named sources
  • Reported by more than one notable outlet
  • Does not insert opinion or leading words
  • Includes supporting video, direct statements, or photos

Click here to read more about our rating system.

As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News App offers the following information published by NBCNews.com:

Former Red Sox star David Ortiz was not the intended target of a murder plot and was accidentally shot in the Dominican Republic, officials said Wednesday.

The article goes on to state the following:

The bullet that struck Ortiz in the back at the Dial Bar and Lounge on June 9 in the eastern part of Santa Domingo last week was meant for Sixto David Fernandez, in what authorities have described as a murder-for-hire plot. Fernandez, a friend of Ortiz’s who frequents the bar, was sharing a table with the baseball star at the time.

Jean Alain Rodríguez, the country’s attorney general, said Wednesday he personally interviewed Ortiz. The baseball icon, known as “Big Papi,” told Rodríguez he had no idea who would want him dead.

Police believe fugitive Victor Hugo Gómez Vasquez, believed to belong to the Cartel Del Golfo, ordered the hit, but they still don’t know why Fernandez was targeted.

To get more information about this article, please visit NBCNews.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *