VIDEO: Dad forces child to walk to school after she was kicked off bus for bullying

BY TEAM DML / DECEMBER 6, 2018 /

Below is a report that DML News gives a 4 OUT OF 4 STARS trustworthiness rating. We base this rating on the following criteria:

• Provides named sources
  • Reported by more than one notable outlet
  • Does not insert opinion or leading words
  • Includes supporting video, direct statements, or photos

Click here to read more about our rating system.

As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by ABCNews.GO.com:

A dad in Ohio decided to take the long road in teaching his daughter a lesson about bullying.

Matt Cox, a native of Swanton, Ohio, is dividing opinions across the country after he decided to punish his 10-year-old daughter for bullying by making her walk the 5 miles to school in near-freezing temperatures.

The article goes on to state the following:

“This is my small way of trying to stop it in my household,” Cox told Toledo ABC affiliate WTVG.

Watch the video below:

Below is Cox’s original video which he posted on his Facebook page. It has been viewed over 15 million times since being posted on Dec. 3.

In an update, Cox wrote, “UPDATE: lesson learned! Still has all her extremities intact is happy and healthy and seems to have a new outlook on bullying as well as a new appreciation for some of the simple things in life she used to take for granted #HOLDOURKIDSACOUNTABLE #STOPBULLYING”

To get more information about this article, please visit ABCNews.GO.com. To weigh in, leave a comment below.

DML News offered you the above information as part of our ongoing effort to educate and inform people around the world. You can obtain additional information by visiting ABCNews.GO.com

1. ZS December 6th, 2018 at 9:41 am

There are other ways to teach life lessons. In freezinf weather that dad should be made to walk it without heavy winter coat and feel what his daughter felt. This is child abuse. Find a better way. Hope your daughter doesnt get sick. She may forgive you sometime!

• Peter December 6th, 2018 at 9:49 am

You are wrong and part of the reason why the USA is in shambles. She also needs a spanking from her loving Dad. The only thing I’d differently is walk her to school instead of follow her. I think he is missing and opportunity to to connect with her heart and to she her he is willing to suffer with her. But this little girl is blessed and will probably grow up to be a good parent and blessing to society.

• Kim December 6th, 2018 at 10:02 am

This is why we have so many asshole kids! Dad was absolutely right ! Kids have no respect these days… obviously many of us agree and she seemed to learn,

• Monty December 6th, 2018 at 10:47 am

Oh please. Child abuse? What a ridiculous comment. I’m sure you’re the kind of person that believes in participation trophy’s as well. Walking 5 miles to school is far from child abuse, cupcake.

• Sharon December 6th, 2018 at 1:17 pm

This is not the whole story! This dad divided the walk into 3 days, she DIDN’T wslk 5 miles in 1 day!! I say kudos to him for parenting!! She will appreciate her dad when she has children of her own!!!

• Sharon December 6th, 2018 at 1:18 pm

*walk

• JD December 6th, 2018 at 4:26 pm

This isn’t child abuse, it’s called parenting and holding your child accountable. She was properly dressed and 36 degrees isn’t exactly freezing. I’m sure with the exercise, she was quite warm by the time she was finished.

2. B December 6th, 2018 at 9:43 am

Love this dad! I had to walk to school every day just because the bus didn’t pickup students in a certain distance & it took 15 to 20 minutes to walk in all types of weather! Hope she’ll learn to appreciate and respect others and things in life.

3. Cathy December 6th, 2018 at 10:01 am

Good for dad. She is well bundled up. Good exercise and lesson learned.

• Kim December 6th, 2018 at 10:08 am

Aha! Another good point I see kids near my work that won’t walk across the street , they are so babies and lots fat! I work in a small hick town in California , very safe , so don’t play the ” gotta make sure they are safe card” . Awesome dad, I walked a mile to get to the bus as kid I’m a riral community . And if was late to bus? I would get a spankin… maybe why at 60 I still have a great work ethic, worked since the day I turned 16, never fired , I commend this dad

4. Nikka Cummings December 6th, 2018 at 10:14 am

We used to walk 3 miles everyday to school in the freezing rain and snow. Didn’t matter what the temps were or how much snow there was. We lived through it. So this is not child abuse. It’s a great life lesson for this little girl, you act out, you have consequences. The way I see it, this father is saving his daughter from a possible future of lawlessness and saving another child of possible suicide. She’s not entitled, she needs to count her blessings. Kudos to this father.

5. Gary Miller December 6th, 2018 at 10:22 am

People like ZS are part of the reason so many many kids are screwed up.
    Smart dad…

6. Margie December 6th, 2018 at 11:27 am

Congrats to the Dad. He stated this was her second time this year and even though it sounds extreme,36 degrees and 5 miles and putting on Facebook, but I think she will think about bullying before she does it again. It’s called “tough love” but many many more kids need it. Great job Dad.

7. Katin December 6th, 2018 at 11:50 am

Great job dad, she will turn out good

8. Laurie Godfrey December 6th, 2018 at 12:07 pm

I agree with this father! It’s her SECOND time of getting kicked off the bus for bullying! Apparently his first choice of punishment didn’t work!! Hopefully this second punishment will work! Great job dad!!

9. Sam December 6th, 2018 at 3:13 pm

Good for you dad and good for the school to punish a bullier.

10. Yvonne December 6th, 2018 at 4:08 pm

The discipline of a dad ever present in the life of his daughte: How perfect and shocking the concept must be to single parents. In my time we walked unassisted all those miles to school in the snow. There were no options of buses or cars then.